1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father, teacher of year: 41 yo ditches family when student girlfriend turns 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 1, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Were you raped by a female teacher or did one just turn you down when you were in school? You sure seem to have something against them.

2. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

She's cute. Why would she wanna be with that dude?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why don't you teach then?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Teachers just save up sick days so they can retire early. I haven't heard of a teacher racing to use all of theirs in a school year unless they are really sick.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No shit. Not to mention those nine months are a hell of a lot more than 8-3 or whatever the school schedule is. My wife teaches and I don't see her more than a few minutes on any day during the week (and it's not because my schedule is too crazy).

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Apologies for interrupting a good unions-and-pensions diatribe ... but the happy couple made the national talk-show circuit, appearing on Good Morning America today.

http://www.modbee.com/2012/03/01/2093567/teacher-student-couple-attracting.html

Good Christ. They have an exclusivity arrangement with GMA -- which they say isn't paid, but what would the reason for exclusivity be otherwise -- but then will be on the Today Show and whatever CBS' show is called, and they are talking with Dr. Phil and Inside Edition.

Reality show coming. Has to be.

"I know, it's crazy!" said Enochs High School senior Jordan Powers on Thursday.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not to mention many teachers who work over the summer. They may rework their lesson plans. Or they may have to prepare to teach a different class. A friend of mine who has tenure still often has to deal with changes in her schedule from year to year, which means she can't just use the same lesson plans.

The level of ignorance about teaching displayed often displayed on this site no longer surprises me, but it definitely disappoints.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Proud to be among the 4 percent. Hell, I bet I know 25 people who are among the 4 percent.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I worked at the small-town daily in my mid-20s, there was this senior girl on the local HS basketball team, who, I was pretty sure, had a crush on me. She'd always say hello, get all giggly and stuff. At one point, her mom (of all people, and no, she wasn't hot), came over and told me how her daughter would always talk about me to her friends. Why? I have no idea. I'd interviewed her once or twice, and that had been it.

I'd pretty much confirmed the crush during one game, when there was a pause in the action (the refs were discussing some clock issue at the table). The couple of hundred people in the gym are pretty quiet. I'm at one end of the court with my camera. Flirty girl comes over, says hello, asks how I'm doing.

Then in the silence, a voice comes out from the student section:

"HEY (girl's name)!, YOU GOT A GAME TO PLAY! STOP FLIRTING WITH BARON!!!"

The entire gym cracked up, and the girl's face turned beet red. I didn't want to embarrass the girl, but I tried not to laugh too.

And no, nothing else happened. I was engaged to Mrs. Scicluna, and besides, I'm no sicko.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How many sports writers can specialize in swimming?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Back when I worked for my first paper, a co-worker and I went out to the strip club after deadline one night. As soon as we walk in, we notice one of the girls staring at us. Kinda looked familiar, but I didn't get it a second thought.

Anyway, about 5 minutes later, she came over to our table.

Her: Hey, do you work for the newspaper?
    Me: Um.............
    Her: You do, right?
    Me: Uh...yeah.
    Her: I thought so. You interviewed me last year. I played soccer for [insert local HS name here].
    Me: ......
    Her: Want a lap dance?
    [rest of conversation stricken from the record]

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe a buck-ten doesn't go as far as it used to in California. But he's going to have to find a better job to support a whiny 18-year-old.

Draft saved Draft deleted