1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fat, lazy slob seeks gym advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Killick, I would definitely jump in with weights from the get-go too. In fact on days you're short of time, it's better for your body to lift than it is to do cardio. You don't have to load up barbells full of weights or anything, but you burn more calories by lifting than you do on a bike or treadmill, and your metabolism is boosted for longer periods during the day. If you can do at least a half hour or so of weights and cardio, all the better.

Simple excerises like rows and squats will probably make you sore as shit for a few days, especially if you haven't worked out in a long, long time. But it's much better for you. And I kind of like it when I walk around the next day sore too. Makes me feel like I did something good.

In most places you're probably looking at 40-50 bucks a month, depending on how big a town you're in.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, man, but you the typical lifting regimen over a half hour or an hour doesn't burn more calories than running for a half hour or an hour. That's just plain wrong. Cardio and weights compliment each other. You will burn more calories from doing your cardio work if you build lean muscle. But if you are fat and want to drop weight, probably the smartest thing you can do, rather than putting yourself on an unrealistic regimen that has you in the gym for two hours a day, or has you just lifting weights, is to 1) start dieting. You simply need to burn off more than you are putting in, and 2) start the cardio work--walking first, if you are so far out of shape that you can't run. You can use an elliptical trainer if you want to take it easy on your legs, although you burn more calories running than you do doing most other things.

Start to worry about toning up after you have dropped some of the weight and you've begun building up your exercise habits. You can also do very efficient total body workouts that combine the two. I love the ergs--the rowing machines--because you work upper body, arm and back muscles, while getting a killer cardio workout that burns a lot of calories.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Pay $20 a month for a 24-hour gym that has cardio and weights. No pool, no track, no basketball, no cool view. But you pay $20 a month, you get the basics and that's fine by me.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Just do one of those musical training montages from any of the Rocky movies and you should be fine in no time.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

On a different note:

My ex-father-in-law, a smart, noble man, once took me to an executive-level gym and said, "Look around. There's a lot of business being done here."

Go for as much gym as you can swing.

OTOH, if you're self-conscious about your body's present state, try a 24-Hour Fitness. Lots of people there on or near the same level as you, and you won't feel as horrible as you would if you joined up at a meathead's anonymous gym like Gold's.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Save the money. Buy a bike, run around the block, do push-ups and crunches at home.

Also, if you have a yard and you're not into traditional weightlifting but want a similar workout, try this: Buy an old tractor trailer tire (with or without a rim, but a rim is preferrable), put it in the yard and spend 30-45 minutes three days a week hitting it with a sledgehammer. No, I'm not kidding. Learned the workout from a boxer and it's one of the rare total-body workouts. You'll use your legs, arms, shoulders and back. It's my favorite workout, although I've been unable to do it the last year-plus since moving into an apartment.

7. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Killick: Analyze how often you want to go to a gym and see what your goals are. Most gyms will be something around $30-45 per month in a reasonable area (Not NYC!). The catch is that usually, they want you to sign on for a year or two-year contract and you can only get out of it if you move more than 75 miles away.

As for getting started. When I wanted to lose weight, the first 2-3 weeks, all I did was cardio. I established an every-day habit of going to the gym, which to me was the most important thing. Once you start dropping weight and get in the habit of going every day, you need to add in weights because that does help the process. Muscle burns more fat.

And Ragu is right. Cardio is more important to start off than weights. And it definitely burns more calories than weightlifting. Also, the cardio machine I like is the arc trainer. Short of running on the treadmill, it burns more calories than walking on a treadmill or the elliptical.

Good luck. PM if you want anything else!

8. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

Gym memberships cost between $20 - $40 a month in most areas.

More important than the cost, however, is getting youself there. Find something you enjoy and try to incorporate it into your fitness plan. If you like biking or boxing or basketball, make sure you do those. Classes can be a good motivator because there's other people there and it can be somewhat social. And make sure you pony up some cash for a decent I-pod or MP3 player. They're usually less than $100 now. Specially designed music can make workouts much more enjoyable (or motivating if you go with the Rocky soundtracks) and in my experience some gym music sucks ass.

As far as workouts go, keep things simple. Dumbbells and pushups can go a long way. No need to start back with power cleans.

Start with simple goals and go from there. Good luck

Draft saved Draft deleted