1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast, easy and cheap (foods)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A rotisserie chicken can be good for three meals for two people. The bones make great stock for chicken soup. We use the breast meat for chicken enchiladas from the Old El Paso kits. That's about 30 minutes, but it's almost all oven time. Eat the legs and thighs with like, vegetables and such for a third meal. That's three meals for like $25.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Instead of the jalapeno, I will add a slice of pepperoni. So effing good. Oh, and cracked pepper and olive oil Triscuit doesn't suck with that combo, either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Cheap? Easy? SALAD!

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sliced, diced, cubed, chopped, mashed, smashed, steamed, fried, boiled, baked, nuked or grilled.

Fry a couple slices of bacon (or a hamburger patty or a couple hot dogs) to crispy-crumbly, chop up a small onion, slice up a couple medium potatoes, simmer the whole mess in the skillet until it's browned and fork-tender, you've got a dinner for just about a buck.

Cooking time: 15 minutes tops even allowing time to fully brown and crumble the bacon. While that's on the burner, you can do all your tater-and-onion chopping.

Not exactly ideal nutrition, but probably less caloric than a Big Mac and an order of fries and about 1/4 the price.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is the saddest thread ever.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

The squash post was. The rest of them are your future dinners.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff. Ever try a spaghetti squash? Do the same thing, put a bit of butter or olive oil in the middle and some fresh sage if you have some. Then cook it the same way. When it's done, you scrape a fork through it and it separates into spaghetti-like strands.

Other thing you can do with the squash, which are plentiful this time of the year is cut them into small pieces -- can use butternut, acorn, and any kind of squash. Add some cut up carrots and parsnips, too. Toss it with some olive oil and a bit of cinnamon, and then spread the pieces in glass or metal roasting dish and roast them in the oven.

Maybe not as easy as a box of mac & cheese, but really not that expensive and better stuff, cause not processed.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

People eating processed cheese and hot pockets is a better idea than squash? Jesus Christ.

Here's your sign, America.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It might just be because I love potatoes and hadn't even considered this, but seriously that is great. Thank you. I might go with ground beef instead of bacon only because i don't like my bacon crunchy.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I try to cook in bulk fairly regularly. I bake chicken or pork and make pasta so that i have at least three meals made at any given time. I don't mind baking stuff because it's difficult to screw up and doesn't require a lot of attention. But I tend to screw up most things that require actual cooking.

Still, I don't like prepared meals. I try to avoid them not because I think they taste bad, as many don't, but because I find that they are slightly more expensive and usually really bad for you if they provide enough food to actually fill a human.

Also, regarding squash... I'm with Care Bear.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The pepperoni is a solid, solid choice. One I've made several times.

Another cheap dinner I made last week was tuna melts. It won't feed you for a week or anything, but it's cheap and quick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sonner ... graduate from Cracker Barrel brand sharp to a Vermont white or a Cabot cheese. You'll thank me later.

Draft saved Draft deleted