1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fashion's Blind Spot: Why doesn't the industry recognize it has a race problem?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 8, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times looks at the fashion industry's lack of racial diversity:

This is a giant, multi-billion dollar indusrty, that appeals to urban elites, and it's racial inequality has continued, unchanged, for decades.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Does the white models percentage include Hispanics?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I bet there were women quoted in that story!

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They could be using all Martian models in the fashion industry and I would never, ever know.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

are there more white models in Ebony, Jet and Essence than black models in Vogue, Harpers and Cosmo?[/#whitecornerbacksneedlovetoo]

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Five of the six magazines you named are not fashion-focused.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NYT must not have mirrors in their building.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The ad slicks in my paper from places like Belk and Kohl's have diverse models. The NYC runway is a whole different stratosphere.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As some of you know I've got a fashion line in the works. It'll start small... Women's ready-to-wear, accessible, mid-range price point... yaddity, yaddity...

Anyway, I have no money so I have to rely on friends and friends' daughters to model for me. I have two people in mind. One is Indian, the other is Latina. It's simply the look I want.....

I don't understand why anybody trying to sell clothes in this day and age would go the whitebread-only route.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is "selling clothes" even the goal of the high-end fashion industry, really?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What about their discrimination against fat women?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yes, it appeals to urban elites. Most of them profess to be liberal. But only conservatives discriminate. Didn't you know that? #doasIsaynotdoasIdo

Draft saved Draft deleted