1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating study of America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackS, Jun 6, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

I love this kind of stuff...

http://www.preservenet.com/endgrowth/EndGrowth.pdf

2. footballworld

footballworld Member

Great Link!

I love stuff like that too

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It was umm, interesting I guess. I haven't had enough time to go through it and really digest it, but the guy seems kind of full of it.
    I didn't really get the feeling that he did as much with the numbers as he should have (controlling for proper variables etc.). I'd need to look at it more, but as it stands, I don't have much faith in his numbers and therefore his conclusion.
    Editorializing for a second. He asks: We need to ask when growth should end because people have enough.
    I can't see ever feeling like the answer to this question is "Never!" but that's just me.

4. JackS

JackS Member

That's sad, really.

But what I found most interesting were the numbers that showed how after a certain threshhold, throwing more money at problems accomplishes nothing.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i didn't find the college dork to be all that smart, either. he probably could have benefited much more from a reseach methods class than writing that piece.

6. JackS

JackS Member

I look forward to reading your report.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm gonna print this out and read it in the tub - perfect tub reading.

I walked into Tiffany this afternoon in flip flops and a t-shirt. I guess I fancied an Audrey Hepburn moment where some trinket could be had for $25. (I'm looking for a graduation present for my niece.)

The salesperson was every bit the class act Audrey Hepburn's was. So far so good.

I found the PERFECT pendant for my niece -- with a stone in the famous school color of the college she'll attend.

Price tag: $925.

I walked out of there feeling really down. I wish I could drop that kind of change. Why am I not doing better? Screw you, Tiffany.

This "report" could not have come at a better time for me, Jack. :)

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

take a research methods class chief, it'll probably help with your next term paper.

9. JackS

JackS Member

...or you could enroll in my class. It will teach you how to move beyond smart ass remarks to actual critique.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you're nothing more than a typical snot-nosed kid who thinks he knows everything, when in fact, you'd know how silly your little report looks if you ever take a research methods class before graduation.

so, here's the critique: research methods, learn them.

11. JackS

JackS Member

Here's some research for you...

1. I didn't write the report. I don't even know the author.

2. The author is the director of The Preservation Institute, not a college student.

3. I graduated already. Bachelor's and Master's (in research). When I said "my class," I was referring to the grad school course I teach.

Love,

Your favorite snot-nosed kid.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good luck teaching those community college kids, dude. obviously they have one hell of a teacher -- notice i didn't say professor -- who's impressed with pure shit he should be able to punch plenty of holes in. but obviously, you can't.

Draft saved Draft deleted