1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating NYT Mag piece on junk food

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The bagels I eat are 270 calories, with 10 grams of protein.

The Rice Krispies I eat are the bigger ones: From 250-360 calories, depending on the fixins, with lots of sugar and almost no protein.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've never heard anyone say "Here's how the cavemen ate," as a primer about what to eat. But there are some great guidelines that could easily have people eating better, and one classic one is, "Would your great grandmother have recognized it as food." That isn't to suggest you should eat like a caveman, it's to keep you away from what has gone wrong. When you pick up a box of portable yogurt tubes, or something with 15 ingredients that you can't pronounce, that is a way of getting yourself to ask, "What are those things doing in there?"

As for the "shit ton of science," that is part of where people actually go wrong. Nutritionism is the word that Michael Pollan (where I got that great grandmother thing, too) uses. That shit ton of science has people believing that a focus on nutrients is the key to eating well. It's why things are labeled "heart health" or "low fat" or they tell you how many grams of fiber are in something or they boast about the added omega-three fatty acids. ... until some other science-approved miracle nutrient becomes the additive du jour.

People were probably better off without the junk science. They knew an apple was an apple, a bottle of milk was mile and that bread was flour (unrefined), water, yeast and salt (not calcium sulfate and ethoxolated mono and diglicerides and azodicarbonamide).

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's an entire movement called "paleo" that is pretty much word for what what you are posting, plus the caveman guideline.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A college buddy of mine — who had been in the 300-pound range as long as I had known him, about 20 years — went on the paleo diet/a regular workout regimen about a year ago and has lost close to 100 pounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My posts amount to "Eat real food." Not edible food-like substances. That isn't some kind of fad.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It can be both correct and a fad.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Convenient and inexpensive is no way to go through life, son.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Ragu, in general, I think you've got this nailed. It's just that every time you mention great-grandparents, I think of shmaltz and start laughing.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Re: alcohol.

If I'm drinking at night, I'm also eating — mostly junk. And I feel like shit the next morning.

If I'm not drinking, I might have one small dessert-like thing after supper, but that's it — and I sleep better and wake up better.

I love beer, and I love my single-malt scotch. Moderation and I are rarely in conjunction. But I've been hitting the gym, and I haven't drank anything the last two nights — and I've lost about three pounds without even trying.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A vitamin is a vitamin, a nutrient is a nutrient, no matter what food or "food" it comes from. I'm not going to sweat whether I'm eating a food or a "food." The key in any event is to eat balanced and not too much and exercise, even if you're downing your meals out of a test tube. As for the complex sounding things, what anyone would have against preservatives, I sure don't know.

11. silent_h

silent_h Member

A few years back, I wrote a piece for ESPN.com on this topic, centered around ballpark food. It was more about the (crude) neuroscience of how sugar-salt-fat engineered food works via the dopamine-reward cycle, and also how advertising and other food cues feed into this. No pun intended.

Always felt it was one of the most interesting things I've ever written about, and always felt ESPN might not have been the optimal place for it. Still, I think anyone who enjoyed and/or found the NYT piece intriguing will get something out of it.

Anyway, here's a link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/091014

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My wife read "The Wheat Belly" book and has taken the concepts of it to how she eats.

She really did not have weight to lose but is trying to give herself six pack abs for her fortieth birthday. The book has elements of the paleo diet which basically preaches that if it did not grow in nature, don't eat it (very broad generalization).

She feels way better and has a lot more energy.

Draft saved Draft deleted