1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"farted away"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Vic Mackey, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Is "fart" really that offensive? Color me shocked.

I wouldn't write it in the context in question (and maybe not in any context), but I don't think of it as a profane or offensive word in the least.

I guess I learned something today.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

I'm clearly in the minority, and perhaps its the mood I'm in, but I chuckled at the line.
    I don't find the word offensive, and to me it evoked a description of clumsy incompetence by the Raiders.
    Everybody farts, but it's embarrassing when it happens in public.
    I would have let it go and outraged readers be damned.
    I think more would have enjoyed it than were outraged.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a great line. Farts are funny...

I doubt I could get that past my desk.

These are some of the words I've had edited from my copy recently. To be fair, all were in quotes...

Asshole - It was a damn good quote and when they censored it, they made it look like he said the f-word. That's why I left it in...

Ballsy - They changed it to (gutsy). Whatever...

God damn - They changed it to (expletive), which again, made it sound like the guy said the f-word.

Pissed - It will never be adequately explained to me why this is offensive when an athlete says "I'm pissed..." It would be one thing if he said, "I'm going to piss all over him..." Big difference...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Offensive or not, it's a juvenile way or writing.

I may be wrong, but I would be willing to be that every Pulitzer Prize winning story managed to win despite not using the word "fart."

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed, but how many pulitzer winners made you laugh out loud?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Zero -- Exact same number as Raiders game stories.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

How do you know about my farts?

(They do make my wife cry. Or at least make her eyes water.)

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

awww.... Don't EVER use dinger. Or tater, or base knock (I actually saw that one in an mlb.com story today). Or "plated" a run. Or "frozen rope". Or "can of corn". Or "two-bagger". Or anything else of that type. It's beyond lame, and so amateurish it looks like a high-school paper.

Why not call it what it is? Isn't that why we have names for things? I'm not sure many sports fans even use them. TV and radio commentators do, though.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Houston Chronicle recently used it IN A HEADLINE over a Maureen Dowd column; readers, and editor Jeff Cohen, not happy.

http://blogs.chron.com/aboutchron/archives/2006/10/post_13.html

Draft saved Draft deleted