1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"farted away"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Vic Mackey, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I make an exception for oldfart

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

The children's book you're talking about is "Walter The Farting Dog"-- it's an entire series. And they're talking about marketing a line of toilet paper, air freshener, etc.
    And for a kid, the word "fart" is funny because its forbidden.
    If you have another option, use one readers won't notice. It's like "said" Say "said" rather than exclaimed, commented, etc.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is why God made copy editors.

4. Rambler

Rambler Member

One word: No way.

5. One of my favorite lines from Shawshank Redemption is when Warden Norton is freaking out after they find Andy's empty cell, and he asks, "he up and vanished like a fart in the wind?"

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Dammit. Just saw this thread and, the longer I read it, thought I was going to be able to bust out the Shawshank.

7. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Ron Wolf used that quote after Green Bay lost to Denver in whichever Super Bowl that was.

"We're just a one-year wonder? A fart in the wind?"

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This has no room on a message board, much less a newspaper column. Farting away a game? Is it that hard to write something a little more eloquent?

Really. That should be stricken for no other reason than its just lazy.

9. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Yes it was. A sarcastic post by me. Or maybe just an example of my oft-described dry or demented humor.
    I think this is a funny thread.

10. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

In this vein, I once used the word "brainfart" in a quote from a gymnastics coach. Now, at the time there was a series of stories news-side about how the local utility company was essentially pilfering money from customers. What do you think got more letters to the editor? By about a 4:1 ratio, it was brainfart.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Can you visualize a fart? Once it gets to the point of being visual, isn't it something else?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted