1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"farted away"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Vic Mackey, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Loved that line in this Monte Poole column from Monday...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4429431

But I wonder...how many newspapers would let this go? I couldn't get away with that, and my bosses are excellent when it comes to giving licence.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doesn't belong in the paper unless it's in a quote. And even then, it might not belong.

Besides, "pissed away" would be better.

3. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Readers are more comfortable with a visual of "pissing" away something than they are with "farting" away something.
    Plain and simple.

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Or how about just "threw" away or "gave" away. Why use either slang?

5. ronalong

ronalong Guest

I once used the word, "Dinger," in a column about baseball. My publisher wouldn't let me use it because she said it was slang. I wouldn't have used it in a gamer, but it's a phrase sports fans use, so it should have been acceptable.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

i can only hope that was sarcasm.

this is a column, its his words....i have no problem with it, and if someone is serious offended by the term fart, thats a little sad. just my thoughts.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Would you have a problem if his words were "full of shit?"
    Farts are funny.
    Farts make people laugh. Or cry, if they're cripplers.

The word "fart" has no business in a newspaper. Even in a column.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

There was, believe it or not, a children's book with the word in the title. Some people look at it without any sort of distaste, and kids find it funny. I remember Walter Cronkite being quoted in USA Today using the word in an article during the 1980s. NASA had intended to send a journalist up in the space shuttle and had an application process. Cronkite had applied and said "I want to show that any old fart can do it". NASA, probably to promote the space program, had sent a Senator, Jake Garn of Utah, up in space and made plans to send a teacher and a journalist up in space to show that regular people might be able to go. Cronkite probably would have been chosen if he was healthy enough because of all his broadcasts during the space program which built to landing a man on the moon.

Of course, when the space shuttle crashed in 1986, those plans were scuttled.

However, I agree with Moddy. It has no business in a newspaper - it would offend a significant share of the population and isn't a pleasant image when you are reading the paper while eating your breakfast. The use of the word is unnecessary.

9. oldfart

oldfart Member

Have nothing to add, just had to respond

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez, oldfart. I thought you'd have the last word on this one.

11. oldfart

oldfart Member

I'm certainly qualified, having farted away more than a few opportunities in my life. However, since I no longer have to worry about offending anyone (retirement has its advantages), I'll leave the debate to those who do

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It's pretty sophomoric writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted