1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farmington, NM, sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MidwestSportsGuy, Nov 25, 2008.

1. From JJ ...

We have an immediate need for a sports writer/designer; we may also soon have a reporter position we're allowed to fill.

We're looking for talented writers who are flexible, have a passion for this biz and a solid work ethic. The sports writer will be required to paginate using QuarkExpress.

This is an exciting opportunity if you've ever dreamed about experiencing the best of America's beautiful Southwest while in a great journalism market at the same time.

A documentary film team was here in 2007 to interview us about our newspaper's powerful influence on local racial/cultural issues. Steven Spielberg is sitting on a movie-rights option with a story about Kit Carson based in our back yard. Here, yesterday and today are a live link, and the outdoors adventure life is the world's greatest!

Throw in a passion for journalism, and this place rocks! (Pardon the outdoors pun.)

We've won several national awards and fellowships, including from Columbia University where we were asked to speak in New York about our investigative and diversity coverage. Ditto in Chicago, Boston and in various other large forums.

Reporter wimps need not apply. We go after racial bigots and closed-minded governments, and the battle often gets fierce. The rewards, however, are tremendous. Likewise in sports; keep reading.

Imagine life right in the middle of a western novel: The magnificent Rocky Mountains within view and only an hour to the north. The colorful Navajo Nation only minutes to the west. High desert landscape with endless scenic views and spectacular sunsets right here in town. And, at an altitude higher than the mile-high city of Denver, the weather here is great, with sunshine year-round, cool summer breezes, dry temps and fairly mild winters.

Add to that: the annual Connie Mack World Series for baseball nuts wanting to see the nation's best pro and college prospects; the national high school rodeo championships; colorful American Indian festivals; hot air balloon festivals; some of the best fly fishing in the world; a ski resort an hour away; one of the most modern public libraries in the nation; an awesome indoor aquatic center that has hosted Olympic prelims; the recently ranked No. 1 public golf course in the U.S.; great whitewater rafting and...well...you get the picture.

Farmington, spurred by active oil-and-gas industry, is the commerce center for the Four Corners region, tucked in the northwest corner of New Mexico and only an hour south of the Colorado resorts in Durango. We also serve readers in Arizona and Utah, making us the chief media source for the entire Four Corners region. Furthermore, we know good journalism, we have exciting goals and we aim to become one of the best community newspapers in the nation. We preach local first, and we're darn serious about our goals for quality journalism across the board. That is one reason we will continue our search until we find the right candidates.

We work hard; we play hard. We have many expectations, and we are placing the bar high. Want to join us?

Please send asap a cover letter, resume and clips to: Troy Turner, editor, The Daily Times, P.O. Box 450, Farmington, N.M. 87499; or to tturner@daily-times.com.

2. spud

spud Member

That is A LOT of space dedicated to selling the area. But hey, they play hard. I'll be checking for any 'ballooning under the influence' articles across the wire.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You can commute from Durango.

4. outdoors

outdoors Member

Job has been locked for years, but I guess they have the budget now. Troy Turner is good people. Job won't pay much, but at least its a job. Don't know if you would want to commute from Durango. Good hour drive and it is more expensive. Farmington is fairly cheap to live in if you look around.

5. I'll second that Troy and Louie are nice people to deal with and committed to finding a good candidate.

Thumbs up to this one.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I certainly was joking about commuting from Durango. But if you're going to commute from someplace and go home to it every night, you could do a lot worse.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hear Farmington has the scenery of Durango and the charm of Clovis.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Clovis can seem pretty charming when you live in Hereford.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's the circulation and who are the owners?

10. Right around 20K. MNG.

If anybody would like more information, feel free to PM me. I know this one pretty well.

Draft saved Draft deleted