1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's going to be really interesting to see how high someone like Beckham goes next season. I'm guessing he's no worse than a third or fourth round pick.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Dez Bryant and Beckham might keep me from getting a bye. They killed me last night. I need 31 points out of Forsett and Buffalo TE Scott Chandler (Dwayne Allen was injured and someone with higher waiver priority scooped up Fleener on me) tonight to still have a shot at it.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This has been the year of the rookie receiver. Beckham, Benjamin, Evans, Watkins, Cook. Bunch of second-year guys will be getting drafted pretty high.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So spend your high draft picks on the top QB and TE. Put WR off for later, knowing that there's great depth.

5. bigpern23

Used to be pretty rare for rookie wideouts to crack 1,000 yards receiving. Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are almost locks to to do it this year. Watkins has an outside shot at it with five games to play. Beckham certainly would have reached 1,000 if he had been healthy for the first four weeks and training camp, and Cooks may have done it if he didn't go on IR.

Strong rookie class.

6. bigpern23

Never spend a high draft pick on a TE.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Waiting for standard leagues to go one RB with the position so downgraded and volatile in today's NFL.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Depends what you call high - probably wouldn't use my first pick on it. But around round 3? Hell yeah. It's one of the positions with the biggest drop off. Top TEs give you a lot of value compared to their counterparts.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If anyone wins my league three years in a row, he/she can make a rule change. A guy in our league did that last year and his change (effective this year) is that one starting RB spot would instead become another flex spot. Big fan of that change.

Running backs are ass.

10. RecoveringJournalist

I think those who took Graham, Gronk and Thomas are pretty happy.

I think the notion that the top quarterbacks aren't worth a No. 1 pick is bullshit too. Next year, I would not hesitate to take Manning, Rodgers or Luck in the first round.

11. RecoveringJournalist

I've heard of some leagues that have three WRs, one RB and one flex.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. bigpern23

Purely anecdotal, but I think the draft results in my league this year show why you shouldn't go for a TE early.

Greg Olsen went in the ninth round in my league this year and has scored 2 points fewer than Jimmy Graham who went in the first round (oh, and definitely NEVER use your first rounder on a TE). Martellus Bennett went in the 13th round and has 11 fewer points than Julius Thomas who went in the fourth round.

The guy who picked Thomas could have taken Tom Brady, Jeremy Maclin or Andre Ellington, for instance, and still gotten Martellus Bennett, Greg Olsen or Antonio Gates in the ninth round or later.

Never use a high draft pick on a TE.

EDIT: For the record, I'd probably define fourth round and higher as "high rounds."

Draft saved Draft deleted