1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Football question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 28, 2006.

?

Which is more important to have?

1. A QB-WR tandem from the same team

6.3%
  2. Two stud running backs

93.8%
  1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Considering that you get 6 points for every touchdown (pass, reception and rushing) and the same amount of points for rushing and receiving yards, isn't it more valuable to have a solid QB-WR tandem than two top running backs?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Here's all the advice you need for tomorrow: Load up on kickers and defense. ;)

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What's tomorrow? Our draft was earlier today.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

There are far more WRs and QBs that could have big seasons than RBs. The shortage of top-tier RBs is far too important to ignore, IMO.

5. cubs

cubs Member

absolutely...this year in particular. There are so many running back by committee and injury problems after the top 8-12 backs that you must get at least one of them....two if you can.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have yet to have anybody give me a sensible explanation why it matters if you have a receiver and quarterback from the same team on your roster.

Yes, it's kinda fun to see your QB and your WR score for you on the same play, but if you pass on a better receiver to put together one of those tandems, you're hurting your team.

If you're going to take Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison with your first two picks, I want you in my league.

In most scoring systems, nothing is more important than having two stud running backs.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't agree with drafting running backs just because. Go for a stud running back up front, but on the way back, if you've got the chance to draft Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Torry Holt or any other elite wideout, you shouldn't pass on it. With quarterbacks, though, you can always find a good one. There are so many that put up comparable numbers that you don't have to reach too early to get one.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I agree with Oz ... nodding my head worse than the bobbles to Babe Ruth in the recent ads.

Make sure to get a top running back. But don't obsess over it. If a top WR is there, and it's between a Holt, Harrison, CJ, Steve Smith or a "maybe" at RB, take the WR without hesitation. Take another iffy RB later.

The last two years, I went after RBs, WRs and a good TE (didn't reach for Gonzo or Gates ... usually in fourth or fifth round got a good one). Settled for a QB later. Sure, I want a top QB, but would rather have a strong RB - two if your lineup requirements state you need two or more - WR and TE, then worry about QB. With Peyton's numbers more of this Earth and Daunte Culpepper's knee getting smashed in Charlotte at midseason, that had every so-called FFL expert screaming not to put QBs on a fantasy pedestal.

On the combos, if you end up with Carson Palmer and CJ, or Peyton and Marvin, that's nice. But don't bypass perfectly good RBs or another top WR just to make this happen.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If you have a QB-WR combo, yeah, you might get hooked up on some double scoring. But on the weeks when they play good defenses, one or both could get shut down. If both do, you're probably in trouble. If you want a QB-WR combo, make sure to look ahead schedules and see if they're playing one of the top defensive teams in the league during the final couple of weeks ... that could have a major bearing on your playoff hopes.

Draft saved Draft deleted