1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football playoff tie??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Dec 19, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, I need some help. A division final in the league I run ended in a tie. Both guys are really close friends of mine, which makes this even tougher. I need to go back to the league rules, and maybe I had a system to figure out playoff ties, but if I don't, what ideas do you have to break a playoff tie??

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Total points.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For the season? I'd like to leave the regular season out of this if possible.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Highest scorer on the bench.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

That's what we use.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If your league has no established tiebreaker then the commissioner must determine the way to determine the winner.

In all honesty, you'd be better off doing a coin-flip because if you decide highest scorer on the bench or total bench points, then you could be showing some bias.

Pass the buck to George Washington and let a quarter decide.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Either total points for the season or total bench points from this week.

Coin flip is bogus.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

how can you not have a tiebreaking system? are you running this the old fashioned way? i'd think yahoo, espn, sportsline, etc., all have tiebreaking systems in place.

9. There was a tie in my Yahoo league, but Yahoo apparently had some built in tiebreaker, because it moved one of the guys into the finals. But if I were doing it, I'd give the victory to the guy whose actual point total was closest to his optimal point total, because that guy did a better job of setting his lineup.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That got me to thinking I should check the SportsJournalists.com "No Essay Required" league, where no one pinned playoff hopes on Joey Harrington, and Chuck Taylor advanced to the finals to play Carrie by virtue of a 41-all tie.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When I was in a money league, our playoff tiebreaker went like this:

We had to rank our bench players 1-5. If there was a tie in a matchup, each team goes to their top-ranked player to see who scored more points.

If we made it through all five players still tied, there was a rule in place, but I forget what it was. May have been total points from your QBs. Coin flip was way, way way way down the list.

In your situation this year (since your playoff teams didn't rank your bench players, take the top scoring player off each bench to determine the winner.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I realize coin flip isn't a popular solution, but it's the one of the just solutions for this situation.

If you feel that is a cop out, then try this proposal:

1. Place each position name on a piece of paper
    2. Fold up the pieces twice and place in a hat or cup.
    3. Blindly select one piece of paper to deter mine which position off which you'll base the tiebreaker. If that position is tied, repeat step 3 until you have a winner.

Draft saved Draft deleted