1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football keeper chaos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sellmate, Jul 24, 2006.

1. sellmate

sellmate Guest

Hey,
    I'm new here and need some advice.
    I have a keeper fantasy league, and some of the owners are saying they want to drop thier players and pick up someone off the free agent wire as thier keeper.
    Scenario: Someone with LT and Larry Johnson must drop one of them. So some chump who kept Jamaal Lewis last year just gets to snag whoever the stud team drops. Then say the chump team was bad last year and gets a good pick. Chump is now stacked.
    I don't want to allow this to happen, but shouldn't there be some sort of penalty those teams should suffer?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, there shouldn't be some sort of penalty. It shouldn't be allowed to happen, period. Keeper = possession. If you didn't have possession, you can't keep him. If you change the rules, then it's no longer a keeper league, so what's the point?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

We announce our protected players and then start the draft. Players not protected simply become part of the pool to be drafted from.

What am I missing here?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If I was in a league where that happened, I'd be dropping someone -- me as an owner. Goodbye to that league.

5. I guess I'm missing the same thing as you are. Teams can only keep one player. The rest go into the draft. Isn;t that how most keeper leagues work? Otherwise, people can have a stacked team and win every year until they get old.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree. You just don't allow it. The rule should be to suspend all pick-ups from the end of the season until after the draft.

If I was in that league and the guy who kept Jamal Lewis got a gift like that, I'd quit, too.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think this is what you're missing.

It appears someone in his league wants to drop say Cory Schlesinger and pick up from the free agent wire Larry Johnson BEFORE THE DRAFT.

And sellmate, you can't allow this. Each team should protect one (or however many you protect) from the final roster of last year.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

No waiver wire moves before the draft. Easy rule. Easy to enforce.

Draft saved Draft deleted