1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football: How much is luck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Ah, right. Misread.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That was like the year I won during Kurt Warner's rookie year with the Rams. I took him with my last pick of the draft, as a bye week replacement.
    I forget who my other QB was, but Warner was starting for me by week 3 and carried me to the title.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When I started 1-3, I began thinking that the football game is mostly luck.

Now that I'm 1-5, I'm sure of it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One thing I like is being in fantasy sports leagues where the rules are tweaked a little bit from the norm. That way, you can't just pick from a magazine or Internet list. Rewards preparation.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I got Cam Newton with the last pick of last year's draft. That worked out for me.

Draft position has killed me this year. I had the No. 1 pick in a 10-team league in one draft, the No. 10 in a 12-teamer and the No. 10 in a 10 teamer. My running backs are trash across the board. Took Rodgers No. 1 and went with a QB/TE combo in the leagues with the late picks because I would have had to terribly overreach to grab someone like Chris Johnson in those spots.

In the league with Rodgers (and Jordy Nelson), though, my team scored 131 this week despite my inspiring duo of Vick Ballard and LaRod Stephens-Howling at RB. I'm fairly dependent on Green Bay's offense, it seems.

I thought I'd be better off with an elite QB at 1 than one of the running backs, considering the passing nature of the league these days.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In the league I commish we do payouts for highest point weeks to go along with the normal head to head.

Right now one team scored 199 in week three and another scored 169 in week two. Right now they are in line for $150 and $75 each if thise scores hold up. It keeps everyone involved even if your w/l record stinks.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've made the championship in both of my leagues each of the past two years. So I vote for no luck at all. :D

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

For me this year, it's not "How much is Luck?" It's "How much is RGIII?"

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Right now, I'm sitting in sixth place at 2-4 despite having the most total points in my league. Three of the four losses come against teams that scored their highest point total of the year against me. I lead the league with 494.88 points scored, but my points against is 505.03, which also leads the league. It's luck, but I think things will average out and I can eek into the playoffs as long as my team keeps scoring a lot of points.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

A lot of what people are describing is luck of the head to head format, which applies in other fantasy sports (and real life sports) as well. I agree with the premise of the thread that FB has far more luck than baseball & Basketball.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I like being in a keeper league. You tend to value your team more, I think, when you hold players from year to year.

The down side, however, is that it's difficult to move up in the pecking order. Running backs, especially; after you get past 2-3 feature backs let go by people who are dumping their entire roster, the pickings are slim. And the people who are dumping their entire roster are getting the first draft picks anyway, so they get first shot at those upper-crust backs.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I scored 181 this week. And lost by 4 points. Grrrr!

Draft saved Draft deleted