1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Football Auction Leagues...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Aug 8, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

...I'm dead set against them, I think they are made for baseball keeper leagues and not one year football ones.

However that's a crappy reason. I need better ones, help me out.

Or if you participate in an auction NFL league, tell me the advantages, I'm curious.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Because you don't rely on the luck of a draw to end up with LT or P. Manning. I personally don't do auction drafts, but would like to try it. Already do one league and can barely keep up with it. I would think it would also be funny to see the guys who overpay for players.

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

My league switched to an auction/keeper league in 1998. It's been a great move & the drafts are more fun than ever. They're quicker too. ;)

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well. Not always.

"Is La...La...LaDonailaien Tom...Tom...Tomlansen taken?"

"YES MIKE! HE WAS PROTECTED!!!"

(this is an extreme inside joke)

As Stormy will attest, once you go auction, you'll never go back. Fantasy football is all luck anyway. Keeper league auctions at least introduce a little bit of strategery into it...plus, it keeps everyone involved all season. If you're 1-10 after week 11 (ahem) you at least can try and trade your handful of decent players for some guys you can keep next season.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Here's the problem, they decided against a keeper league this season, does that take some of the umph out of an auction draft?

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Not necessarily. It may take a little longer, but it'll still be a blast & like BYH said, there's a lot more stategery with an auction.

And BYH, you can't imagine how much I'm looking forward to the draft just for all the Mike-isms. "Who? Who?" [riffling through his six magazines after someone introduces Edgerrin James]

Draft saved Draft deleted