1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball trade advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Mar 31, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This is open to anyone who's in a league and wants to gauge whether a trade proposal is realistic or if you're out-of-your-gourd crazy.

My idea is this: My shortstops are Stephen Drew and Rafael Furcal. Not bad, but this one guy has Derek Jeter & Edgar Renteria, but only one closer in a league where everyone else has at least two. I'm thinking of offering him one of my two shortstops (leaning towards Drew, but he's also a Braves fan & might want Furcal) and Tom Gordon for Jeter. Am I giving up too much? He isn't that plugged into what's going on in baseball, but he's not a fool, either. What say ye?

2. You're not giving up enough. Tom Gordon sucks.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Like I said, he isn't as aware of things as the rest of the guys, so I have a feeling I might fleece him on this, but I'm not sure. I could offer Chris Ray, but I don't know who else I could pick up as a reserve closer and not hate myself for it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ray and Furcal would be too much. Gordon and Furcal is pricey, but it depends who you get to replace Gordon. Who would you pick up?

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The list of options aren't pretty: Borowski, Julio (vomit), Benitez (gag), Dotel, Salomon Torres. The good news is that my #1 closer is Nathan. I initially offered Drew and Gordon (his only closer is Rivera), but told him I'm will to replace drew with Furcal.

6. So you're willing to replace a virtual rookie with someone who's been hurt the last two years? How generous of you.

Seriously, if you can get him to fall for it, more power to you. But I'd vote against that trade if I were in the league.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Hurt? The guy has 600+ at-bats in six of the last seven years, and that one year, he had 563. I think it's safe to say he's durable.

8. He was hurt last year, IIRC, and has a moderately sprained ankle right now. Those things tend to linger for someone with speed.

9. outofplace

Furcal has a history of these tweaks early. He'll still end up hitting around .285 with 15 homers an 35 steals.

I'd still rather have Jeter and don't care for Gordon, though I think Ellis is underrating both Furcal and Gordon.

Make the deal if you can. Borowski's no sure thing, but Gordon will probably fade late again like he did last year. Or take Benitez. Laugh all you want, he's having an excellent spring and the talent is still there.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Plus there's always the guy that comes out of nowhere to lock up a closer's job. Brian Wilson or Tim Lincecum (and his funky-ass delivery) could wind up closing for the Giants. Jonathan Broxton is rumored to be first in line with the Dodgers if Saito fails. Too bad Zumaya had too high a profile, otherwise he'd be a perfect pick-up... if he wasn't drafted in the 13th round.

11. outofplace

Broxton will close in LA if Saito fails or, more likely, gets hurt. The only reason he's not already a closer is Saito was even better last year.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Someone is offering Jeter in my league, but since I already have ARod and Giambi I am wary of taking on anymore Yankees.

Draft saved Draft deleted