1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The difference here, I think, is that Belichick never sat in a post-game presser, looked over at Jack DelRio and said, "I think we're going to let you win this week so we don't have to face Pittsburgh."

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't like it in those circumstances, either. It's not as easy to force teams to play to win in the NBA or the NFL. Intentionally screwing up to lose is not acceptable. A real team resting key players because the game either doesn't matter or you may be better off with a loss isn't the same thing. In an NFL game especially, that has value due to the relatively high risk of injury.

Sitting your key players in a fantasy baseball league doesn't help keep them healthy. It's just my opinion. I absolutely get it if others see things differently.

3. outofplace

That is the most important difference here, yes.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s horseshit. You should have to start your strongest lineup or they should be fined. Obviously it depends on how much you are playing for but these aren’t real players who need rest.

5. outofplace

How many people here are in leagues that continue through next week? My money league is rotisserie-style scoring and we just go to the final day, which gets annoying with so many teams shutting guys down next week. The league has daily transactions, too, so it will be a high-maintenance week just trying to get something resembling a full lineup out there. Do you think all leagues should wrap up a week ahead of the end of the regular season?

I'm in third place, six points out of first and six points ahead of fourth. The top four teams are in the money. Fourth place just means my league fee is covered for next season. If I want a check, I've got to hold on to third. Given that my team was a bag full of hot garbage when I took it over before the 2018 season, contending this quickly is an accomplishment, but that will be little consolation if I can't at least hold my current spot. We really have six of 15 teams in contention for the money with a little over a week to go, which is good by the standards of the league.

I'm so not ready for the end of baseball season.

6. outofplace

These are the moments that drive fantasy baseball players nuts. Going into today's games, I was within three points of first place in my money league. My pitching has come on of late after being a weakness much of the season. Mike Fiers was coming off a string of ugly outings, including two brutal starts while he tried to pitch through a sore arm, so I sat him today. Of course, he is dominating the Rangers, taking a shutout into the ninth inning.

My team has been really good today, pushing me within a point of first place, but I'm busy being annoyed with my lineup error. Anybody else got a good story of a bad choice?

Draft saved Draft deleted