1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And of course, Haniger lands on the DL with an oblique strain. So now I can't trade him, and I assume he won't hit as well when he's back. Sonofa ...

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL makes it easier to keep Donaldson now.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not even on the DL yet, but I'm guessing he's going to be out for a while.

4. bigpern23

Yeah, strained oblique is probably going to cost him close to a month. Ugh.

5. outofplace

Worst part is they let him try to play through it. I read that Haniger had been playing with discomfort for a few days. So instead of using that new 10-day DL and trying to get it under control, they lose him for a month.

6. bigpern23

I hadn't seen that. That pisses me off further.

7. bigpern23

Has anyone looked at the MLB.com player stats pages lately? The addition of Statcast information, as well as advanced batting statistics is fantastic. I hadn't seen it before since baseball-reference is my primary statistical site.

It's got me wondering if I need to drop Stephen Piscotty. His BABIP is a little low, so one would think he'll heat up, but it looks like it may be so low because he's hitting a lot of weak ground balls. His exit velocity is below league average and his launch angle is 8 degrees, well below the league average of 12. For reference, a launch angle of 25-30 degrees is ideal for hitting HRs.

The Statcast stuff is a bit of a whole new world for me and it's fun to check it out.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Songbird likes this.
  8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Holy crap, I had no idea that was so easily accessible. Thank you.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. bigpern23

There's also a leaderboard, which is useful, though I wish it included every player instead of just the top 50 or whatever it is.

10. outofplace

As it pissed me off when I read about the Mariners' stupidity.

The sad part is I just gotten my offense healthy for the first time all season with Turner and Kipnis returning. I grabbed David Peralta to take Haniger's place. I know injuries ruined his 2016, but he looked like he was developing into a solid producer in 2015. I'm loading up on Diamondbacks. If they can all stay healthy, that is a great lineup.

11. bigpern23

Agreed, Peralta was solid in 2015 and he helped me reach the championship in one league (I got smoked in the finals). His numbers so far are very similar to 2015, so he can be useful. I think he's like 50 percent owned in Yahoo leagues.

12. bigpern23

Judge and d'Arnaud both with 2HRs so far tonight. Sadly, I sat d'Arnaud who was up against Scherzer.

April was pretty awful for my hitters, but a bunch of them are starting to heat up. I had 200 points in my auction leading entering today's games, and 200 points is usually a good week for most teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted