1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic Steve Jacobson column on George Steinbrenner.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Old age should be no automatic refuge for those who were cruel or selfish in their younger years.

Jerks get old too.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jacobson column has no balance. As always if you want balance you have to go to the preeminent voice of NY Sports-- Mike Vacccaro:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11212008/sports/yankees/one_of_a_kind_exits_stage_139949.htm

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

as i've often said before: vac is the greatest.

4. Boom_70

Hey Shockey I said it first!

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

doubtful, my friend. no offense....

but your taste is first-class, as evidenced by your outstanding choice of women.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Vaccaro is great, but the difference in the columns is he wasn't around to see much of what George was really like. Jake was.

George didn't "reinvent himself," as Vaccaro suggests, he got old and feeble and shunted out of the way -- for the betterment of the franchise.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I swear by Vaccaro; he's simply the best columnist in the Tri-State.

That said, most of the George columns that were written said "There will never be another George" and why. Jacobson's column was a remembrance of a man who was tyrannical; it needs to be noted that he ran off Yogi Berra, who is only synonymous with Yankee championships, among many others.

8. Boom_70

But in your scene setter first post you portrayed Jacobson colum as "fair" .

I take fair to mean "balanced" . Jacobson column is one sided. Vac column is balanced.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Boom, every columnist in New York wrote the "there will never be another George" column. I thought Jacobson's was a fair look at a man, who to be quite honest, was reviled by his fan base for many years.

10. Boom_70

Neither was Hockeybeat

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

A column doesn't have to be "balanced" to be "fair." It's perfectly "fair" for Jacobson to write his opinion.

12. Boom_70

The statement "reviled by his fan base" is wildly inaccurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted