1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic Steve Jacobson column on George Steinbrenner.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good for Jake. It's easy to feel sorry for Steinbrenner these days, or to confuse the real man with the "Seinfeld" caricature. It's good to have a realistic view of him and how he ran the Yankees.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

fair? maybe not. accurate? heck, yeah.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

6. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Y'know, I was in NYC while "The Bronx is Burning" was on ESPN (great book, mediocre miniseries...John Turturro and the guy who played Jimmy Breslin were fantastic).
    Anyway, I was reading the newspapers talking about how Steinbrenner should be in the Hall of Fame before he's gone to the big owner's box in the sky.
    It was so refreshing to watch "The Bronx is Burning" to remind everyone what a complete fucking psycho Steinbrenner was.
    I liked this column.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He still belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Ty Cobb was fucking psychotic and he's in the HOF.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ty Cobb, psychotic or not, <b>played</b> baseball and accomplished things on the field.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, since Peter Gammons didn't play, he shouldn't be in the Hall?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Love him or hate him, Steinbrenner changed baseball in a monumental way and should be in the Hall of Fame.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Who has been inducted into the Hall for his contributions as an owner? I don't know off the top of my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted