1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic piece on a heartbreaking tale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ira_Schoffel, May 31, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There was a similar story a few months ago from a NYT editor, whose family I knew when I was a reporter.

The story's familiar. So is the pain I feel for these kids who will never know their fathers. They are victims, too.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What struck me about this story was how long Romano waited to tell the inevitable. I knew how this story would end before I started reading it. And yet it took an incredibly long time to get to that moment, so long, in fact, that in the back of my mind, I started subconsciously thinking it might not happen.

A remarkable piece of writing, and a firm reminder that newspapers do still have a place in this world.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Amazing story. I've already forwarded it to everybody I could think of.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I get mad reading a well-written but heartwrenching story like this. Not mad because of the war, or Bush or the Iraqis or anything else. Just mad that this family, that any family, is so damaged by something like this.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Man, that was tough.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

Extremely well-written piece. Extremely sad story.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

wow. great story.

i'd stop short of saying that this kind of thing saves newspapers because of the unfortunate reality that few newspapers short of the biggest let their writers pursue this kind of story.

that said, at least in theory, i think newspapers would be far better served with stories like this than, say, another story about the latest school board meeting or trial of johnny drug dealer.

8. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Romano's story is 6 pages, 5,000 words, photos, and video. That's the major leagues. But this story can be 600 words and a mug shot for a 1,000-circ weekly. This story is universal: Love, birth, death. Every newspaper I've worked for -- from that weekly to major metros -- would beg you to write it.

9. andykent

andykent Member

Excellent point Dave (and yes, I was paying attention during all of your sessions at Poynter last month).

Stories as compelling as that should never be shot down by an editor, and though at a smaller paper you might not be given the time or resources Romano was given, if you tell it the right way and present it as best as you can within your means, it will still have the same impact on your readers.

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Andykent has it right. If you're not given the time -- never mind the resources, you make do with what you have in the minors -- you take the time out of your life to do it. If you don't want to take the time out of your life to do that story, you need to find a new line of work.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

I second that!

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo.

I forwarded this amazing story on to a good dozen people, including my ex-boss at my last paper.

She said it took her 2 hours to get through the story, such were her emotions at reading it. I could sympathize; it took me 45 minutes, although some of that time was spent doing actual work.

She also said that stories like this are why newspapers are more vital than the self-indulgent BLOGS! (following SportsJournalists.com style here) to the body public.

The Pulitzer committee should lock up the feature category now as Romano figures out what he's going to wear to the awards banquet. It's not hyperbole to say end of thread there, folks.

An amazing, amazing piece of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted