1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic column, worth posting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JG2007, Sep 12, 2009.

1. JG2007

JG2007 New Member

Hi all,

I understand that writing is subjective, and that this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought this Ed Graney piece from the R-J was fantastic, and worth posting. No, I'm not Ed, just a fan.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/58001277.html

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No knock on Ed, whose writing I respect. But how would you say this differs from 9/11 columns we see every Sept. 11, except this one manages to also advance a golf tournament and uses the word "shitty?" I wouldn't call it "fantastic," I would call it obligatory. To tell you the truth, I don't even read past the first couple paragraphs of these anymore unless someone points me toward them like you did. Newspapers have to acknowledge the anniversary of 9/11 every year, but there's nothing new to be said. It's not the writers' fault, it's just how it is.

3. JG2007

JG2007 New Member

Just because the topic is brought up once a year doesn't mean the story is routine. At least that's my perspective.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Only in Vegas can you use shitty. These columns don't do much for me. You can right the same thing for a spaghetti feed benefit on the anniversary of some car crash that took someone's life in a small town. Different event, but same setup.

5. Pretty damn good quote-lede though.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Great quote-lede.

Draft saved Draft deleted