1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan sues Yankees over "God Bless America" bathroom break

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OTD, Apr 15, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just the ones who think DUIs or excessive speeding are okay.

Deciding that a small convenience for you is worth a small inconvenience to lots of other people is pretty much the definition of rudeness.

The people who don't act this way are always going to be a little morally superior to the ones who do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Long ago.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I do not want someone standing up when a team is going for a critical third down conversion or my favorite player is hitting, then I will not do it to another person.

This guy, obviously had an emergency, but taking your hat off and standing still during the National Anthem or God Bless America is something I think that should be done if at all possible. It's about respect, if for no one other than the person singing.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So you've never gotten up during a game or a movie or whatever and went to the bathroom? Never held it until you can't hold it anymore? You've never been seated in the middle of a row and had to make your way past a handful of people to get out, causing them to miss two seconds of whatever they're watching?

Never?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I went to a couple Big East Tournament games this year. dreunc and I sat in the last two seats of our row. There were a couple guys who came and went several times, plus the way the seats were situated, people coming up from the three rows in front of us involved me moving as well.

It was part of sitting there. I accepted that when I sat down. I never thought of demanding they wait for a break in the action, or felt it was rude of them. It's the way of life.

I don't pay money for sporting events so that I have to ask permission to go to the bathroom. That ended in school.

6. RickStain

Nope, never. I don't drink anything before I go to the movies. With my wife pregnant now, I make sure we sit on the edge of an aisle when we go.

During games, there is *always* a break in the action if you wait another minute or two. I think about my actions and what sort of effect they have on other people, and try to act in ways that I would like everyone else to act around me. That's what polite (if judgmental) people do.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

*nod* That bad crackling Kate Smith record album they play at the stadium deserves all the respect one can muster.

8. JackReacher

Bullshit.

9. RickStain

I know it's hard for self-centered people to imagine alternatives.

10. I didn't realize it was that much trouble to wait for a break in the action.

Just seems like a courtesy to me.

But then again, I have a weakness for thinking about others instead of always thinking of myself.

11. JackReacher

I don't disagree that it's a courtesy.

I never said I go out of my way to make sure people miss part of the action. It's not like I go to the ballpark or stadium thinking, "You know what? I think I'm gonna get up and leave my seat 24 times for no apparent reason just so the poor guy beside me misses a part of the game."

Of course I'll wait if I can. But on the occasion that I can't, well, tough shit. I'm going.

And the main reason I'll wait is so I don't miss the action, not so you don't miss it. Call me self-centered. I've been called worse.

12. RickStain

(emphasis added)
    That's a significantly different tune than you were singing a page ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted