1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan sues Yankees over "God Bless America" bathroom break

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OTD, Apr 15, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ooh, they miss 1.2 seconds as I step off the step next to them.

Deal with it. It's not like I stand in the aisle and have 20-minute conversations.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My wife and I were booed loudly when we left a bullfight in Madrid years back. It's apparently an insult to leave while the big wooden doors are closed.

With that said, I hope this guy wins his suit. The Yankees go way overboard with their force-fed patriotism. They don't sell television commercials while God Bless America is being played, either. Pretty scary stuff.

Also, I'll often leave my seat with one out to go, for example, so I can more quickly get in and out of the restroom or concession stand. So, yeah, deal with it.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The cops side.

Maybe this guy's telling the truth of exactly what happened. Maybe not. But just because a guy alleges something in a lawsuit doesn't mean I have to take it at face value.

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

I have to admit, this guy has balls for attempting this.
    Never at the thousands of sporting events I've been to have I ever considered going to the bathroom during the National Anthem, God Bless America, etc.

But I do agree with him - it should not be required of patrons to remain in their seats during the song.
    The cops have no right to deny him this privilege.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hmm. Both the Bills and St. Bonaventure, the two places I visit most often, instruct the ushers to stop people from entering their section until there's a break in the action.

6. RickStain

They miss 1.2 seconds when you do. And 1.2 seconds when the other rude person does. And 10 more rude people after them.

It's distracting, and following a simple social rule with very little detrimental effect on you solves it for everyone.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, and hockey really does have a Puck In Play rule, unlike baseball, where maybe it's just some overzealous ushers.

8. imjustagirl

That's why I don't watch hockey. :D

(not really)

Anyway, there are a whole bunch of people in this country who don't believe in "God." Why should we have to listen to a song that means less to us than Britney's latest?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm with IJAG. Ticket prices are outrageous and more than likely, I paid a good chunk of change to attend. I'm sorry if you miss a split second of the game while I leave my seat or come back to my seat, but tough shit.

And I know the other person paid just as much, if not more, than I did for the ticket. You know what? I don't really care. I only care about what I paid.

And I know the other person will miss a split second every time someone doesn't follow the unwritten rule. You know what? I don't really care.

Deal with it or stay the eff home.

10. RickStain

Deal with me thinking less of you, and we're all on the same page.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. imjustagirl

Rick, judging by the majority of your posts, you already think a lot less of all of us. So we've kind of gotten used to it.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Consider it dealt with. Wow. That didn't take any energy at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted