1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan keeps 38 year attendance streak alive, loses job as a result

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The sickness isn't the only problem with the story.

I just know how easy it would be to turn "I went to almost every game for 38 years" into "I haven't missed a game in 38 years."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd bet his streak isn't actually 38 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's unbroken for 10 to 15 years.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's true.

Don't know how in hell you'd prove it, though.

Would be a lot easier to prove he missed one, if he did.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How could you prove he missed one?

5. BTExpress

Would be hard for the average person, but you'd do it the same way an attorney or an investigator needs to disprove an alibi.

You come up with a record of some kind (receipt, etc.) showing the person was at Place A instead of Yankee Stadium.

Or simply a witness willing to say, "That story is BS. I was with the guy at Hooters, and we were watching the Yankee game on TV."

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, a reporter wouldn't have access to credit card statements. Finding a witness who remembers distinctly watching a Yankees home game from (likely) years ago with this guy would be exceedingly difficult, and you'd have to be able to prove that he was right anyway.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

And it's not like he's missing work everyday to be at a game. (Weekend games, not every game is an afternoon game.....)

8. BTExpress

Didn't mean it would be easy for a reporter. Just easier for SOMEONE to disprove it.

Once the world knows about "the guy who says he never missed a game," the door is open for the world to prove him wrong.

People get caught in lies all the time. They get feted for something later found to be BS. And the trails they leave today are as accessible as they have ever been.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to prove him wrong. But I wouldn't waste my life watching 3,000+ baseball games, either.

9. He already lies to get out of work, so it's not hard to believe that he's lying about the streak.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Doesn't say he's never been sick. Sick people go to games, too, and it doesn't discuss any non-related baseball absences from work, if any.

It does, however, suggest he skipped high school to attend games, too, since the streak began at age 16.

And despite his fanaticism, he's hardly a team player. From the transcript linked in the story:

And later:
    Probably some in that office breathing a sigh of relief that he's gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted