1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan dies from fall at Rangers game (Warning: Video link)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't say they would be held liable. I said I bet you could wrangle a settlement out of them.

But it seems they are going the extra mile to honor and consider the victim and his family so maybe no lawyer will get in the widow's ear.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Stadium employees in every other seat, forcing the ticket costs up.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is a big movement in medicine called, "Sorry works." Basically, there are studies that indicate that doctors who acknowledge missteps and mistakes are far less likely to face malpractice suits afterward, because people feel that their situation was acknowledged.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing with libel suits and newspapers. Readers who feel they were wronged but are satisfied with the response they receive when they call a newsroom are much less likely to pursue legal action.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That was at the Army-Navy game. It was several cadets or midshipmen (can't remember which) who were leaning over the railing to celebrate for a live TV shot during a timeout. I think one or two were seriously injured or maybe even killed ...

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's a baseball game. You have to accept that people are going to react that way when a ball is hit or thrown in their direction - especially with seats near the outfield. Therefore, it's a good idea to not have a huge unguarded trench in front of the railing.

Put a net up or the previous covering. If a fan goes onto the net or covering to recover a ball, remove them from the stadium. Post warnings near all seats in that section.

Is it really that hard?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Somehow I get the feeling you're not that sorry at all.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Josh Hamilton will start tonight.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. What was he doing that was so stupid?

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

But aren't you also supposed to accept that people aren't going to be reckless enough to put their entire body weight past a hip-high railing in front of an 18-foot drop?

I said this when the toddler tragically died - you can't idiot-proof the world (and I don't mean this guy or the toddler were idiots, but his/the parents actions were reckless at best). You can't put netting in front of the upper deck railings where the fan fell from. Accidents happen sometimes, and they are tragic and sad but I think it's a failure of common sense to try and somehow blame this on the ballpark design.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Look at the photo of the trench he fell in and ask if it looks:

1. Particularly dangerous
    2. Easily fixable

12. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Remember when there weren't nets around every hockey rink?

Draft saved Draft deleted