1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan dies from fall at Rangers game (Warning: Video link)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Very sad.

What a tough thing for a kid to go through.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

How many deaths have there now been at this ballpark? At least two or three come to my mind for some reason.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I can think of two other falls but no other deaths off the top of my head...

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The CNN story (with video of the incident)
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/07/07/texas.rangers.game.death/index.html?hpt=hp_p1&iref=NS1

includes this quote:

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Have to guess this is the guy:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002222034966

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's hindsight now, but how on earth could that kind of setup gotten past inspectors? A mere railing separating fans (who would either be ball-hawking or drinking usually in that row) from a 14-foot drop to concrete?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Inspectors saw the railing and felt it was adequate, just like it would be for any other facility. They don't necessarily take into account people leaning over it to try to catch a homer or tossed ball.

Players tossing balls to fans is good PR. It's terrible that someone died, but don't ban ball tossing. Put up a damn net or sign saying no leaning against the rail.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My wife's an architect and she saw the pic, says that setup is almost certainly completely up to (today's) code.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Correct. It's also the path from the visiting clubhouse to the bullpen I believe.

I mentioned this on the other thread, but Blitz and I were at the game with a couple of DFW friends who are in the business. We were sitting down the third base line about 50-75 yards away, but had a clear view of the guy falling. We couldn't see behind the wall, though.

It looked like a bad fall, but we didn't know he had died until we got back to the hotel room. Going to the game again tonight, and our seats are one section above those the guy fell out of.

Gonna be weird. But yeah, I'm sure MLB will so "no more throwing balls into the stands" (at least those in the outfield where someone could fall more than a few feet) and I would think there will be some sort of PA announcement to that effect as well.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But don't you have to take that into account? Just saying. I think this is different from, say a railing separating an upper deck from a lower section.

Just a lousy story. I can't imagine how that child must feel.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If you count basketball, I think a toddler fell to his death at a Lakers game.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Picking nits, but the headlines running on the crawls (and, I suppose, the one on this thread) are technically not at all accurate. The man died from a heart attack an hour after the fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted