1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family Guy spin-off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh yeah ... that one still kills me.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tom, Reese may have her hot moments, but I'm already missing JLH's picture with your posts.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ok, ok, ok. give me a coupla hours and i'll give you another JLH fix.

i kinda miss her, too.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You da man.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Family Guy is much better today than it used to be. In its old days, it would hold back on the snark in favor of the "Aw, this family loves each other!!" soft stuff that the Simpsons sometimes falls into. Its main "different" identity was the homicidal baby, but those jokes got old pretty quick.

Now, it's 30 minutes of glorious bitterness and snark. The best change was exchanging Stewie's 'I wanna rule the world and kill mommy!!!" plots for "Everyone Hates Meg."

Throw in the inspired guest stars and a pretty clear vibe that the writers are no longer holding back on the sheer evil rips on people ("They let Sarah jessica Parker on TV, and she looks like a foot!") . . .and that is one damn funny show. The only one that genuinely left me cold was the climax of the one where Joe walked again.

I never miss it. I think it has a great, kinetic Robot Chicken quality in the "blink and you may miss the joke" cutaways.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

better watch out or i just might write an ode to jen.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I laugh at every Family Guy episode. Maybe I'm simple and immature. I don't give a shit. It's funny.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Agree on everything except I think they really went over the line not in the episode where Joe walked again but the one where Stewie killed Lois, except of course to have her return and engage in a wild gunfight in the White House that ends with Peter killing Stewie. That was some dark, dark, nilhilistic shit. Too far, even for my snarky tastes.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

[​IMG]

;D

10. I couldn't ever get into Family Guy. The couple of episodes I saw of American Dad were OK - but at least I understood it. I could never figure out in FG whether they could understand what the baby was saying and, if not, why could they understand the dog but not the baby?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Kindly blow it out your ass, Tomas. :)

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

Fucking fantastic.

Also, American Dad has grown on me to the point I like it better than Family Guy. Either that, or it's gotten better this season. Either that, or the writers' strike destroyed my ability to watch television critically. Either that, or I have no taste. But I still hate when my girlfriend watches Celebrity Apprentice, so I'm pretty sure we can narrow it down to one of the first three.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but seriously: Everybody knows reality TV sucks, and Donald Trump is a fucking tooldouche, and that you will, in theory, pay with soul pieces every time you watch the Celebrity Apprentice. But until you actually spend hours of your life watching Big Pussy and Gene Simmons battle over advertising campaigns under the watchful eye of Ivanka Trump, you can't begin to fathom the toll it takes on everything that's precious.

Draft saved Draft deleted