1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fall TV 2009 - whattya watching?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 23, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious if there are any new shows people are finding worthwhile. Figure I'll be watching less this season and nothing that I've seen that engaging...
    Though I did like The Good Wife, Marguilies, Noth, Titus Welliver, Baranski, enough wheels and relationships to turn this way and that.

Figure Dancing with the Stars will only be as good as long as Natalie Coughlin is on. Glad to see Glee get a full season pickup, Flash Forward looks interesting but who knows.

2. Watched NCIS:LA last night, completely unimpressed, which is suprising because of the cast. And making it follow one of the better episodes of NCIS, uh washington, didn't help things any. Of course, I thought this was going to be the case, but I was just a bit disappointed when it was confirmed.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've tried watching NCIS and I watched the spin-off, but I found them both kind of dumb - they both reminded me of fake TV shows. CSI Miami is similarly ridiculous. The actors almost mocking the viewers for buying their crap.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Two things: You and I part company, here, Dan. Love NCIS. The science is hinky at times, and the investigations take pretty large leaps, but that's not why I watch. It's a character-driven show. Love, love, LOVE Abby the forens-chick, Harmon's stoicism, DiNozzo's cracks. I'll watch 'til they yank it off the air. This is - what? - their sixth or seventh season... not a bad run for a JAG spinoff.

The other: I had "The Good Wife" on while I worked on some stories last night, and the thing that struck me was that it was good to see Josh Charles (Dan, from SportsNight) back on a network show. Didn't watch much of the show to see if he'll be sticking around long, tho.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It'll be easier to list what I'm NOT watching.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mad Men.

Flash Point which premieres this Friday.

House--we'll see if it can sustain itself after a brilliant 2 hour premiere.

Hockey

CFL.

That's about it.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's gotten even worse for me since getting U-Verse, since I can record four things at once now. I worked four days...this morning I got up to find 19 things on my DVR. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Community is about the only new show I've gotten my hopes up about.

Other than that, the usual suspects...Curb, Mad Men, 30 Rock.

Just started watching Glee last week....I was impressed

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nothing new has caught my eye. Outside of How I Met Your Mother and Smallville, there is nothing left that I care to watch regularly now that I finally broke the Heroes habit and Battlestar Galactica is done.

I gave the new Marvel superheroes show on Cartoon Network a chance, figuring it was something I could watch with my daughter. Man, is that some horrible television. It makes Spongebob Squarepants look good.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It would be even worse if I had HBO and Showtime. Between the shows I like, the shows my wife likes and the shows we both like...oy....that's a lot of shows.

Edit: Only because I'm bored to tears, I'll try to list the shows WE -- not I, we -- watch. I expect no one will benefit from reading this...

Amazing Race, Two and Half Men, CSI: Miami, Hell's Kitchen, The Office, Survivor, Community, The Good Wife, Jon and Kate, Little People, Real World, Modern Family, Sunny in Philadelphia, Rescue Me, the show after Sunny in Philly last week, Entourage (on DVD)....

OK, I can't think of any more, even though I'm sure I left off several. Dammit. That only wasted like three minutes....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Enjoyed The Good Wife. Thought it was well written. Looking forward to Ed O'Neill's return to TV sitcoms tonight on what may be the most under the radar premier this season.

Watched NCIS: LA and it needs to pick up it's writing. Too many 'tells.' It was way too easy to figure out why the naval officer went along and who done it. It's like in the old movies when the camera would focus on a phone and then it rings. It's about at The Mentalist mystery level. Harmon's NCIS is much better written.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

See, I thought exactly the opposite.

Totally agree. NCIS: L.A. might not make it to a second season if it doesn't get better in a hurry. And I was all prepared to like it, too. Like Killick, I'll watch the real NCIS until they kick me out. Great show.

Draft saved Draft deleted