1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fall prep sports (non-football) feature ideas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FPH, Aug 24, 2010.

1. FPH

FPH New Member

I don't know about you guys, but I find the fall sports season one of the toughest times of the year to come up with fresh story ideas for sports other than football. I'm talking golf, cross country, volleyball, soccer, etc. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing I'm not alone in this.

I thought it might be useful if we all tossed around things we've done/seen in the past that worked well and might be something relevant for any are.

I'll start with one, I recently read a story about how different high school golf coaches from programs that aren't traditional golf powers handle the plethora of new golfers that show up for the first day of practice with almost no prior experience to speak of. It was kind of interesting because with most sports (basketball, baseball, football; even volleyball and soccer) kids have most likely played through grade school. Golf you usually don't start until middle school at the earliest so coaches have to worry about coaching things like rules rather than fine-tuning swings and that sort of thing.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Some year I will dare to do a story about volleyball shorts. This is not that year.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

How about a story on how being a golf coach is the cushiest gig around and most coaches would do it for free just for the course access.
    Of course, not knowing you or our area, I have no idea if this is true. Our coaches play at some pretty swanky places and once they get locked into a job, they don't stop. They play nine holes at practice and during rounds, play the back when the team plays the front.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How about soccer moms who take things waaaaay too seriously?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd rather do a story on hot soccer moms who would do anything to make sure their kid is in the paper.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Thinking the same thing, with lots of photos. That will get the Internet hits! Perhaps even some passionate video clips of the hot soccer moms pleading for more coverage.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

In all seriousness, I find some decent stories at the local NASCAR track. There are always some high school kids, even junior high kids, who are racing. I am finding motocross and supercross has a lot of high schoolers competing on a regular basis. Might be worth a look if you have a race track or motocross track in town.

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

You guys gets to write about things other than football? Wow...

Draft saved Draft deleted