1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fall Movie Preview.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 25, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

From today's Globe & Mail.

Looks better in the actual paper but this is a pretty good run-down of the pick of the crop. And Lord, finally some movies for adults.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070825.wliamtiff0825/BNStory/Entertainment/home

Really looking forward to the new Cronenberg, "Eastern Promises" "No Country for Old Men" which some people say is the best Coen brothers flick since "Fargo" and the remake of "Sleuth".

Michael Caine was in the original movie about 35 years ago and is the character that Sir Laurence Olivier played back then. Jude Law co-stars and it's first film Kenneth Branagh has directed in a long time.

And "American Gangster". Cannot wait for that.

It looks like a great line-up. Sure as hell can't be worse than the mostly miserable crap that's been out this summer.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just under a week until Rob Zombie brings a legend back to the screen.

Can't wait for Halloween on Aug. 31!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

American Gangster does look great...

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Interesting story in Entertainment Weekly in their preview.

Film was originally cancelled because of serious cost issues then resurrected .

Apparently Denzel Washington & Russell Crowe were all that was needed to restart the project .

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is the autumn of Westerns. I saw 3:10 to Yuma this week and it was really good. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe try to one-up each other and the audience wins.

No Country is a sorta Western and it has great buzz.

The "funny movie" of the fall will be Walk Hard...sorta Talledega Nights meets the music biopic.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I absolutely cannot wait for American Gangster.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sicko has completely fallen off the radar screen after about a week of hype and bluster.

It's said one of the very worst receptions the fat man received was by Canadians at Cannes. Heh.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I wonder what the box office receipts are so far.

After 9 weeks it's still playing up here although only in about 4 houses. Didn't seem to have the legs of 9/11 or Bowling

9. Herbert Anchovy

I would have given it a chance but was outvoted every time. I did plunk down a hard-earned shekel on Transformers.

Nobody wants to see a documentary about such a dreary fucking subject. There is no escape value there, certainly no entertainment to be derived.

Morgan Spurlock is in the Middle East searching for bin Laden for his next doc. That might be something different.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way Sicko was as entertaining as Transformers.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Transformers is the best new movie I've seen all summer.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

SICKO

Budget
    • $9,000,000 (estimated)

USA
    Latest gross: $23,616,424 (17 August 2007)

Draft saved Draft deleted