1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falcons owner wants new stadium to replace decrepit Georgia Dome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2006/09/06/0907gadome.html

Jesus Christ. These billionaires never quit.

We need a fucking federal law to utterly prohibit the use of tax money, in any form, for the construction of playing facilities for any professional sports franchise within the United States.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Move. Nobody cares.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

"I think a new stadium would be needed. Domes tend to age more quickly than other buildings do. It will be 23- 24- 25 years old [by 2015-2017]. The facility itself will need to be replaced."

Even the reporters who filed this story say the Georgia Dome "will have some serious age on it in another decade."

Why is it that these buildings are so unsatisfactory to the owners and/or to fans after such a short period of time? I mean, the Red Sox and the Cubs are still getting a lot of mileage out of Fenway and Wrigley and most of the NHL's Original Six arenas lasted 60 to 75 years. Hell, Boston Arena is closing in on 100 years.

You'd think that a facility built in the early or mid '90s would have the requisite number of luxury suites or would be easily adaptable so more could be added if necessary. What the fuck is going on?

You're right, Ben, I'd rather see a team leave than be held hostage, which we know all know will happen to Atlanta taxpayers who got stuck with the entire bill for the Georgia Dome in the first place.

4. Starman

Pass a law to absolutely prohibit the use of any tax money anywhere to finance new stadiums, and they'll be stuck. There'll be nowhere to go.

They will be faced with the cataclysmic possibility of actually having to finance construction of their own facilities themselves, which about 95% of all American businesses must do. Of course, if it's such a dynamite financial deal as they always say it is when marketing the idea to sucker politicians, that should be no problem, eh??

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The New England Patriots financed their own new stadium (it helped they already owned the land). The Yankees are doing the same (it really helped the city gave 'em the land). Both are going concerns to say the least. There's no excuse for this crap anymore.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Or you can slickly do what the Cardinals did and finance a stadium through a tourism tax. Rent a car at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix and you'll see what I'm talking about. Base for a week rental will be $99; tax will be another $89. It's ridiculous. But it doesn't hit the pockets of residents, so it's no big deal.

7. Starman

Sure it does. Every dime of that tax which goes to pay for the stadium for billionaire Bidwill could have been used for better schools, more cops, better roads, better health care, blah blah yadda yadda. Now, if residents want that stuff, they have to go pass some other tax to do it.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

There are many, many taxpayers who would rather pay extra taxes for a new stadium than to build roads, schools, etc. Many taxpayers are scared to death they might "lose their team" if they don't support a new stadium, but they probably don't give a damn in general that local roads and schools need improvement. Blackmail, extortion, whatever you want to call it, works because of taxpayer apathy and general stupidity. Until that changes, greedy owners will continue to take advantage of the situation.

9. Starman

Until a federal law is passed to take that gun out of their hands, and point it straight at their heads.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hear what you're saying about people being afraid they'll lose "their team," but let's face it. How many people nowadays can even afford to go to any of these games, once you factor in the cost of tickets (assuming you can get them), parking, food, souvenirs, etc.

That's why I'd rather go to a local junior or senior hockey game than to a Leafs game. The cost to go to a senior game in my area is $6, parking is free and $3 will get you a beer which you can drink alongside the players once the game is over.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Having covered plenty of NFL games and having gone to plenty more as a fan, I'll say there's no place I'd rather be than a good sports bar on an NFL Sunday with eight games at my disposal, along with plenty of cheap beer and wings.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT. As it is now, just about any team, minus those in NYC, can turn to the taxpayers and say "We don't make enough money. We might have to move."

Nobody wants their city to be relegated in status or have their team depart. What happens next? They pass some funding and that billionaire owner collects his welfare check.

Draft saved Draft deleted