1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fake Reporter Calling Female HS Athletes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mira, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Mira

Mira Member

An imposter in the Milwaukee area calling female high school athletes attempting to obtain photos and interviews.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/fake-reporter-trying-to-lure-female-athletes-s97lbka-179388031.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. That's creepy.

About 10 years ago, Stanford had a kicker who did this trick, asking boys to send pictures of themselves for recruiting purposes. Naked pictures IIRC. He went to prison.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I am a student teacher at a high school, and just this past week the principal and a cop had to have a stern "talking to" to some guy who was coming to volleyball matches and taking pictures. He wasn't related to any player or anything ... just taking pictures for his own gratification. Gross.

Also, photo galleries from high school volleyball matches on our website consistently were among the most viewed, over any sport.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was covering the men's juco state water polo finals in California back in the 90s. The coach of the home team, who was running the tournament, had to eject someone taking photos of the players, in Speedos, in the huddles during time-outs.
    '

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There are a lot of fake reporters out there. Some of them aren't even pedophiles.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Th numbers for anything related to "cheerleading" make me uncomfortable to look at sometimes, because they're often two to five times that of any other sport's article except football and the local college basketball program.

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

One one of our local high schools, there used to be an old guy, had to be in his 70s, shooting photos on the sidelines. He took game pictures, but one night we realized every time he shot the cheerleaders, they were jumping in the air with their skirts flying ...

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I have always worked through the coach or AD in getting phone interviews with HS athletes of either gender. Or failing that, a parent.

I've worked with a few people who don't -- after games, they'll be asking kids directly for their cell numbers.

Not much good is likely to come from that. Even if everything is totally legit, at some point somebody is going to jump to the wrong conclusion.

10. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

You don't need to look far ... just check the volleyball thread on this page.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I was covering high schools I found that Facebook was often the quickest, easiest way to get in touch with kids, but I had mixed feeling about it. It was frankly pretty shocking and scary how quickly both boys and girls would add me as a friend, a lot of times having no idea who the hell I was.

12. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Even Facebook is limited now, as some privacy settings make it so you can't even message the athlete. I don't want to see their party pics or get friended, I just want them to call me so I can finish the feature I've been assigned.

Draft saved Draft deleted