1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fair Trade Coffee?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I had this question on random thoughts but it is too important not to give it its own thread.

What exactly is "fair trade coffee" ? Is all other coffee poorly traded ?

It seems like all coffee should be fairly traded.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Some coffee growers actually get paid less than their production costs, so someone (I don't know who) has come up with a certification for coffee that was bought in the "fair" way, i.e., where the grower actually made a profit. Or something like that.

3. Boom_70

Then that implies then that Starbucks sticks it to the rest of the coffee growers.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Starbucks has been accused of such things, yes.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This ain't new and there's lot of stuff about it on the internets.

http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/coffee/background.html

Fair Trade means an equitable and fair partnership between consumers in North America and producers in Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean. The chief concern of the Fair Trade movement has been to ensure that the vast majority of the world's coffee farmers (who are small holders) get a fair price for their harvests in order to achieve a decent living wage. Fair Trade guarantees to poor farmers organized in cooperatives around the world: a living wage (minimum price of $1.26/pound regardless of the volatile market); much needed credit at fair prices; and long term relationships. These fair payments are invested in health care, education, environmental stewardship, and economic independence. Fair Trade Certified coffee is the first product being introduced in the United States with an independently monitored system to ensure that it was produced under fair labor conditions; now we need a movement to demand it!!

And as far as Starbucks goes:

http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/coffee/starbucks.html

Since 2000, consumers have been demanding that Starbucks offer BREWED Fair Trade coffee as well as whole bean. Many Starbucks cafes will brew a pot of Fair Trade - but only if specifically asked. Meanwhile Fair Trade Coffee has yet to be promoted as the brewed Coffee of the Day, which is the only way to ensure real volume for Fair Trade Farmers.

Somehow I doubt Tim Horton's is involved in this, but I'll check it out and report back :)

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Knicks have offered Steve Francis to Starbucks for a bag of coffee.
    That would be a fair trade.

7. Boom_70

This is really something that could bring the US and Canada together and also help the poor farmers.

Lets start a movement where we start asking for brewed Fair Trade coffee at Starbucks and Tim Horton's.

Now that I have a better understanding it really seems contradictory for Starbucks to see both fair trade and non fair trade coffee.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I want some fair trade Gatorade. I'm a little dehydrated.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, they're playing both sides against the middle.

It's perfect corporate spin in action. Do your normal thing but toss the odd bone to the hippies in Birkenstocks so you can at least claim you care.

Tim Horton's are everywhere in Canada and are practically bullet-proof when it comes to issues like this. Their constitency doesn't give a rats-ass about fair trade coffee.

The faux "hip urban lifestyle" that Starbucks prides itself on doesn't wash with the Timmy's crowd (including me). Just so you know I'm not just anti-Starbucks, there are Canadian chains that promote this phony shit as well.

Coffee isn't a lifestyle---it's fucking coffee.

10. Boom_70

I'll trade you my fruit punch gatorade for 2 powerades to be named later.

11. Boom_70

Hey pancho I'll give you .75 cents a pound for your crop of summatra and your sistah.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And I'll throw in an apple fritter.

Seriously, Boom, do you have a postion on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted