1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fair or foul? Dan Patrick question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Feb 2, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was listening to the Super Bowl postgame on Westwood One driving home last night and Dan Patrick asked the following question (or at least close to it): "You are the youngest coach in Super Bowl history, and therefore the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl. Did you ever wonder if you were in over your head when you were offered this job?"

Tomlin said he trusted the Rooney's judgement and that if they believed in him, he knew he could be a successful coach (or something to that effect).

A minute or so later, they went back to the radio booth with Marv Albert and Boomer Esiason and Boomer said, "Dan Patrick asked sort an inappropriate question there, but ..." and went on to talk about something else.

I thought, in the context Patrick asked it, it was a fine question. Kind of like if a coach draws up a play for a freshman to take the final shot, it's natural to wonder if that player truly believed he was ready to take that shot.

What say you, SJ denizens?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't think it was inappropriate... odd, but not inappropriate.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

IF there was a lot of media attention focused on Mike Tomlin being the youngest coach in the Super Bowl, it's a valid question. However, if that wasn't even a small subplot, WTF would Dan Patrick ask it?

I like how Tomlin answered the question, though. And it's hard to argue with the Rooneys considering their record.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very fair question.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I think it's a good question, to be honest.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fair.

What's foul was Patrick's radio show all week and today, where the story is all about him.

7. Of course it's a fair question.

8. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

a good question and totally appropriate

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

It was fair, and from the response here, maybe a little different than the scrum questioning, which can only be a good thing.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

definitely... odd, not inappropriate

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

There's nothing inappropriate or unfair about that question at all.

Esiason is the one who made the stupid comment about it being inappropriate.

Esiason also is the one who went into the replay booth at halftime, admittedly with sandwiches, to find out about Harrison's interception return for the touchdown.

Are media members allowed into the replay booth to ask about a call? Even if Esiason is a former player, he is working for Westwood One as (supposedly) a reporter. If he is allowed to do it what would happen if a legitimate journalist did the same?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many 34-year-olds have taken the helm of a storied franchise? Not that many. And asking a coach who just won a Super Bowl about his hiring a two years back is something that would be of interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted