1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Fair and balanced," right?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DemoChristian, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. That is what everyone is arguing. That the others are perfect. Would you care to stick up for Fox News in this matter instead?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

As is the notion that Fox News is any more or less biased than CNN or MSNBC or CBS News or ABC News or NBC News......

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Exactly. All I'm saying is ABC leans left, so does CNN, MSNBC, CBS, PBS, The Daily Show on Comedy Central, and radio shows, most newspapers, employees at bookstores etc. Add those all up together and Fox News is there to offset them all.

4. Once again, Zag, let's see a comparable example from CNN to the incident that started this link.
    I'll wait...

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Damn! I didn't realize that speaking to an employee at a bookstore was a sure tipoff that I'm a liberal.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the fact that the constantly tout themselves as unbiased is one sure tip that they are not and don't intend to be.

7. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

IMO, there are <i>big</i> differences between the political bent of the three networks and their coverage.

ABC spawned Brit Hume, Chris Wallace and Bill O'Reilly, all of whom are now superstars at Fox. John Stossel is prominently featured in primetime programming, occasionally getting his own reports and enjoying a fat role on 20/20. ABC hired Hannity awhile back, has frequently had Gingrich on the morning shows, still employs George Will and most staunchly interrogated Obama during the debates. ABC, not Fox, aired that "Path to 9/11" movie before the 2004 election, too.

Agree or disagree with ABC, it isn't even in the same ballpark with NBC, or CBS, which is simply irrelevant. This was the network of Brinkley and Koppel, and neither of those guys were shills. And, yeah, Jennings was liberal, but he didn't fall over it.

You watch ABC and listen to ABC Radio News for a month, then take in NBC's family of news folks, and you will see a giant chasm.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think you'd find ABC to be more balanced if you watched it for a month.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yep, especially their political director, Mark Halperin, who called Obama a "pussy" a few months ago. Balanced ... right ...

Draft saved Draft deleted