1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fads you remember fondly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jan 29, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Spandex is no fad.

I wear it every day, albeit beneath my workout shorts.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Jams were awesome. Those and Forenza t-shirts from the Limited were staples of the elementary school year.

Chuck Taylors with funky fluorescent laces in them.

If you're from the D.C. area, Britches backpacks from the '90s.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

three-bag's a maniac, maaaaaaniac on the floor!
    and he's dancin' like he's never danced beeeforre!
    maniac, maaaaaaaniac... ;D

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

What about the pants that had an elastic band you stuck under your feet. I can't rmember the name of them, but I definitely had several BRIGHT colored pairs of those pants.

A person in customer service at my last paper was still wearing a pair of those around the office. I smiled everytime she wore them.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Eek. :eek:

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Stirrup pants, spup.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Running threads.

Ask Drunk X threads.

Ask Drunk X running threads.

JDV threads.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A fad we miss:

Unprotected sex. Bareback, baby. In the pre-Aids days, when the worst likely scenario was a case of the clap that made urination painful (or so I have heard) as opposed to say, well, dying.

One we don't miss:

Leisure suits. Crafted of only the finest polyester and in all the colors one would expect to see after downing a bottle of Mogen David and coughing up one's lunch. Trying to look dressed up while showing off as much chest as one can is not a good combo--anywhere, any time.

9. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

My fondest memories are of rolling up the pants legs of jeans, parachute pants, jean jackets and bouffant hair. My sister could get a tease on hair you wouldn't believe. She missed her calling by not being a stylist!

One fad I don't miss and still hate seeing revived: The turnedup collar on polo shirts. It was gayer than hell back in the mid-80s and it's still gayer than hell. Didn't all these prep boy douches watch "The Karate Kid" to see how douchey Johnny looked with his pink turned-up collar? Sheesh!

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

OMG. Saw a weather guy on one of the national morning shows this morning with the collars up. Laughed my ass off. That's in the same category as bell bottoms. To be buried in a lead-lined trunk with 14 padlocks and buried in the back yard.

11. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

The french roll with accompanying Bugle Boy jeans and British Knights high-tops.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are tons of fads today: YouTube, Adkins diet, sandwich wraps, ice cream dots, the Wii, 'High School Musical,' World of Warcraft, shoes with rollerskates in the soles ...
    Those are off the top of my head without reading the rest of the thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted