1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facts? Plaschke don't need stinking fact

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

In a column today about an 87-year-old Dodgers scout who had salary cut 56 percent, Bill Plaschke wrote:
    "As a 5-foot-6 shortstop from Staten Island, N.Y., Genovese was undrafted but fought his way through 22 years in the minor leagues and one at-bat in the major leagues, playing and managing sandwiched around three years in the Army."

Everyone in that era was undrafted. Plaschke, or a copy editor, should have known that.

It seemed like a cheap ploy to elicit sympathy for the guy, in typical Plaschke style.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke12-2009nov12,0,2601997,full.column

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe he was drafted after all.

3. Dodgers replaced him with a robot or a computer, I'm guessing?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A good copy editor could have caught that ... oh yeah ...

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And according to baseball-reference, it was 1 at-bat but 2 plate appearances in the majors.
    And 15 seasons in the minors, including three in the Mexican league. He was player/manager for parts of 5 seasons in the minors and mexico and managed four more years in the minors after he stopped playing.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Kind of nitpicking, don't you think? I really don't see where the mistake affects the overall story that much.

With that said, the column's a bit over the top. I kind of doubt this guy is bringing a whole lot to the table at his age.

And does anyone else get the impression Plachke wants to be Simers just a little bit?

Ten grand, and Jamie now doesn't have to worry about skinny jeans.

Ten grand, and now Frank can go the extra mile on that Gulfstream.

Anyway, Genovese played at the same high school as my dad so I'll pretend to be outraged on his behalf.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That Poindexter didn't start this thread is the upset of the century.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's nitpicking...

Plaschke picks up that monster baseball reference book, looks the guy up and sees he was undrafted, which technically, he was not and he writes it.

And as far as the desk is concerned, that's anything but common knowledge.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it should be part of a sports copy editor's knowledge base that Rick Monday was the first draft pick in major league baseball's first entry draft.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It should have been common knowledge to Plaschke and the desk and I'm disappointed nobody picked up on my one-sentence-per-paragraph salute to Plaschke.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think somewhere Michael Schur just read this and his head exploded.

I love Bill as a feature writing columnist, but he sure does love those grizzled old scouts.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From the column:

Genovese doesn't use a computer..

Oh, for Pete's sake. What the fuck is up with Plaschke, old scouts, and computers?

Draft saved Draft deleted