1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facts? Doyel don't need no stinkin' facts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Our favorite columnist Gregg Doyel wrote about the college football officiating controversies and his overall point was acceptable to this reader.
    However, he screwed the pooch with this paragraph:

Point No. 1: The outcome of the LSU-Alabama would not effect how many teams the SEC gets in the BCS. The SEC is getting 2 teams - its champion and and an at-large team.

Point No. 2: A second BCS team is NOT worth $17 million to the conference. A second team is worth about $4.5 million.

But fudging those facts made for a better column, no?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What Doyel (and everyone else who is arguing for a conspiracy) fails to realize is this ...

If there was a conspiracy to keep Alabama undefeated, they would have penalized LSU for roughing the kicker rather than running into the kicker and given Alabama a first down rather than fourth-and-1, about two plays before the controversial non-interception.

Said another way, if there was a conspiracy to keep Alabama undefeated, it would not have come down to a replay decision with three minutes left in the game. There would have been no way to ensure such an opportunity to affect the game in Alabama's favor would have taken place, which would have not made for a very effective conspiracy.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Doyle and the SEC? This thread could be going places....

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Doyel's a no-talent twit. He's a one-trick pony, and the trick is to blast people. Tell when he's written a constructive column on anything? It's always to rip.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks like you're the one-trick pony.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Doyel's gonna challenge all of you to a fight in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

7. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

The SEC is getting two teams into the BCS, true, but in (my) theory, it is getting two teams in IN PART because Florida and Alabama (and earlier this season, LSU) had their way paved by officiating mistakes. If Florida had lost to Arkansas, for example, and then loses to FSU or whoever ... does it still get the league's second BCS bid if it loses in the SEC title game to Alabama? Of course not.

As for the second BCS team from a league generating just $4.5 million ... if I'm wrong, I'll correct it. But that's news to me. Cite me a fact, please, and I'll be happy to look and make the change if need be.

Didn't know I was everyone's favorite columnist. Thanks!

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Maybe you should hire a researcher.

Call somebody from the BCS - the ACC is the conference "in charge" of the BCS this year. Maybe even send somebody an e-mail to find out the "fact" that's been common knowledge for years but is continually screwed up by columnists like you who consider facts to be inconvenient truths.

I'll make it easy for ya - contact your colleague, Dennis Dodd. Unlike you, he's someone who knows simple facts about the sport he covers.

Of course, I know it's hard for you to find time from your busy boxing/training schedule to do reporting.

Everybody's got to have a favorite columnist. You just happen to be ours.

9. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

I'll be damned -- you're right. We're making the change right now. And thank you for the pretty words, now in blue. Nice, sunny color for such a nice, sunny sentiment.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Uncanny, coffeeman.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Wow, see what some reporting/research/knowledge can accomplish ... as opposed from just pulling something outta your butt cheeks? Sure, correct it. For every reader that sees the correction, another 9 ... 99 ... 999 ... read the original and now believe that a conference with 2 teams in the BCS pockets a total of $34 million. Damage done, move on to the next column about MMA or the NBA or the NFL or whatever.

Aw, widdle Gweggy can't handle a widdle bit o' sarcasm?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When you use the blue font, you dig two graves

Draft saved Draft deleted