1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebooker steals money from mourners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Just when you thought people couldn't get much lower:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/08/19/mclean-group.html?ref=rss

Friends of Tim McLean, who was killed in a brutal attack on a Greyhound bus in Manitoba in late July, say someone has been cashing in on the tragedy by posing as his sister to solicit donations.

The situation began when a man in Vancouver, Ron Schinners, launched a Facebook group with the angry title "Severed head killer!!! Cops should of killed you! R.I.P Tim McLean" in the wake of McLean's death aboard a Greyhound bus in Manitoba on July 30.

Ron Schinners was approached by someone claiming to be Tim McLean's sister who solicited donations on his Facebook group.

About a week ago, Schinners was contacted on Facebook by a person who identified herself as "Amanda McLean," Tim McLean's sister.

"She was saying that her family was having financial trouble and whatnot, and totally did the sob story," he told CBC News.

"She was giving me inside information, so-called, on her family's financial hardship. I did believe it."

Schinners felt sorry for the woman; he also felt an emotional connection to the case, since one of his family members was a murder victim. He made the woman an administrator of the Facebook group, and she set up a PayPal account to collect donations, supposedly for the family.

But he began to get suspicious when the person began making nasty comments online and provided no photos of herself with McLean.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What a scumbag. That said, I guess the guy should have done more to verify "her" identity. An absolutely despicable thing to do.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

See, there's where your logic is flawed. I never doubt the scumbag abilities of the human race.

Draft saved Draft deleted