1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Jan 24, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Personally, I subscribe to the idea that if it's on the Internet, it's in the public domain and fair use.

Professionally, I abide by the ethic that my newspaper does not have the right to publish something from off the Internet without rights/permission/ownership. You might not know who you're stealing from, but you're stealing from somebody.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And for all you know, a photo on Facebook can be Photoshopped or manipulated in another fashion.

We were told never to use facebook as a source for various reasons. At our school, you could create several alias e-mail addresses that would forward to your regular bfepartyschool.edu address. Heck, the football coach and Jesus Christ were members. Nothing to stop someone from potentially creating a fake profile.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've noticed a lot of the athletes at the school I cover have made their profiles private. Probably smart on their part.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Shit, half of the basketball team I cover has done the same on Myspace. Even found one of the guys from last year posting every article I wrote on him.

5. BrittMarsh

BrittMarsh New Member

Ah, yes. . .not a Lady Vol either - just a student. However, I will say that Coach Pearl is ANYTHING but an asshole, and that's coming from someone (me) whose known him since his first day at UT. So, believe me . . . wonderful person.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

So you're a male Vol?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD10020407.htm

So if they can do it, why can't hiring editors be equally investigative? If a college has the right to be represented by someone who at least makes a public display of discretion, doesn't a newspaper or broadcast outlet have the exact same right?

8. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

The coach I cover is a real member of facebook. I think his director of operations handles his requests and stuff, but he definitely looks on there. He invites students to the games. He has talked about it before, he thinks he is super cool.

9. BrittMarsh

BrittMarsh New Member

Coach Steve. . . hush it! ha ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted