1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Here's an ethical question for you all: is it permissible to use photographs of athletes that have been posted to Facebook and can be viewed by anyone logged in?

More and more I'm using the site to do research on high school and college kids (directly related to my beat) and I'm finding some interesting stuff. My editor wanted to use a particular photo I found in our next publication, but I said I wasn't comfortable doing so -- at least, I think I'm not.

This topic has likely been discussed before, but I'm wondering what you all have to say about it.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'd use it for research, absolutely.

Photos? I think not.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Right on.

4. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Would the photo actually be big enough to print in the paper and it look decent?

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It isn't your property nor do you have permission to use it.
    But, with one simple email, you could attain permission. Without permission, it is unethical.
    Not to mention 72dpi (web size) compared to the 150-225dpi your presses print.

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

No. Absolutely not. That would bother a LOT of people. As said, get the permission first, if it's granted at all.

Plus, what kinds of things are you finding on Facebook that you'd want to use that you can't find in a photo somewhere else? If you're finding risque photos - or the one like of Greg Oden at the party - I don't necessarily know that those would be publishable not just for permission uses or resolutions, but also because of the likely content.

7. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

If you're able to access Brittany Marsh's facebook, do so...she has about five different photo albums posted.

And yes, each of my last three posts have dealt with Brittany Marsh. I don't have a fixation, though.

Maybe a little one.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Is she the Louisville cheerleader?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is it true you have to be a college student to have access to facebook?

10. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Not anymore. They've opened it up in recent years to pretty much anyone. I don't know the specifics, but I know it's possible to check out college profiles, even if you're not in college.

11. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Lady Vol. Check the Bruce Pearl thread for more.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, the coach from wherever it was, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted