1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

facebook - Should you 'friend' a person you cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I agree with those who say the only minor issue is the semantics concerning the word "friend" and see no problem with it. In fact, from a competitive sense, you probably need to do it in case the competition is, too.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That's what ESPN just did with its NFL bloggers. A couple of them already had private pages, but the tekkies set up "official" pages for them.

I have a hometown kid playing minor-league ball and the player/coach of the local sandlot team on mine, and sending a quick "hey, can I give you a call?" message when I see one of them online is a heck of a lot easier than playing voicemail tag.

On the other hand, adding high school kids? Bad call for most anyone over 20, IMO.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I say do it if you're comfortable doing it. Me? Eh, not so much.

I just know that I won't be able to turn the switch off in my head if Ms. 16-year old soccer star posts a status update of "I got really drunk last night" and then goes and turns out a shit performance in her next game.

Should I run that she was drunk? Yeah, I think it's relevant. Should I have obtained that information from a personal page? No, I don't think I should have.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Excellent point on the whole Rolodex thing.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, good point -- but you can always use judgement with regard to information obtained.

Also, I'm not as sure about high school kids in this as I am with adults. But I guess it's all fair game in a sense.

Also, the person can always refuse your friend request.

6. Castaway

Castaway New Member

It's tricky ground and best to stay away from unless you legit are their "friend" and aren't going to report anything.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'll google a different way to say it. :)

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you don't like "friend" as a verb, you really won't like "unfriend." It's the new decommit. </supercool>

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It's defriend, not unfriend :)

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You don't need to be someone's friend to message them on Facebook.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I've only added that student-athletes I know well enough and that know me. They trust that I'm going to be responsible.

I've broken many stories after reading something on myspace, facebook and twitter. I feel kind of strange about it, but those are great tools to follow what these athletes are thinking and doing without SIDs and coaches hanging around.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think underage kids should be Friended. Even if everything is completely, 100-percent above board there's always the chance the kid's parents might not approve.

I've had parents complain about writers calling their kids' cell phones, even though the coach provided that number as a way to contact the kid. If they complain about that, I'm sure they'd not be happy with an adult being a Facebook buddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted