1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook or Twitter? Facebook and Twitter? Neither? YouTube?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That crack-like use is the part that scares me.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

But that's on the person who follows to a degree.

If there's a beat writer overdoing it -- such as Tweeting about a mundane teleconference word-for-word -- I drop 'em.

But just like reading a story, if you like their voice, if you like their personality, multiple Tweets aren't that big of a deal.

Twitter also has the quirkiness. Stuff like the Iron Sheik's feed. Me? I thought it was a funny for a day or so, less funny the next day, and by the third day it was the same old shit and I dropped it.

But the amount of annoyance on your feed is always in your control. You can follow one or one million.

And I think Twitter helps my game story writing on deadline too, but that's another conversation.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I would hit that Twitter pipe too hard and too often. It's addictive.

Just talking about me. Others' mileage varies.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Do people feel Twitter is making us smarter or dumber? Be honest.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Smumter?

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

When I talk to people about Twitter, I always bring up Christine Brennan's Twitter potshots at Erin Andrews following the stalker incident. Brennan's later excuse was that Twitter is a limiting medium, etc.

That's incorrect.

Twitter forces us to get our point across in smaller bites. It requires a cleverness of expression that is not easy to adjust to, but if mastered, can bring great opportunities for conversation and expression.

Do I prefer Twitter now as opposed to longer material? Absolutely. I have to read way too much business-related writing for work, and so I like my news and my snark in little bites.

Twitter is not making anyone dumber or smarter. Individuals' use of Twitter is what makes that individual dumber or smarter, more informed or less informed. The medium is what each individual makes of it. Blaming Twitter (or other social media, or the Internet, etc.) is a crutch that people fall back on when they don;t want to take responsibility for their own choices.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well said. Don't paint yourself into a corner because of idiots, Lugs. You're smarter than they are.

Also, even those idiots are better informed now because of Twitter.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Twitter beat AP on John Wooden's death by several days.

And AP still hasn't written a word on Don Shula's death.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

They broke Cousy's death, too. [/Chris_L]

Seriously, Vers and Norrin, I keep going back to that NY Times series 'Your Brain on Computers,' and I guess I worry Twitter will make my brain less analytical...... But you two are not overly condensed in your writing here. So that's encouraging.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And, conversely, I'm not on Twitter.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

#GoodCall

#TwitterIsFun

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK so I know there are other threads that have advice (I just read most of them) but I'm wondering, circa Jan. 2013, what's the latest way to collect Twitter followers? Any new techniques to be had.

I'm, um, asking for a friend. (Actually, asking because I'm involved in a new project and some of the people in it have 50K followers and some have 50, so I want to get the 50 to the 50K level!).

Draft saved Draft deleted