1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook or Twitter? Facebook and Twitter? Neither? YouTube?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Use Facebook for fun, although some of my friends' updates get rather annoying, such as posting a dozen political messages per day. I can see once, maybe twice, but some of them look like they do nothing except post stuff all day.

YouTube for fun, especially watching old pro wrestling footage. There's a ton of stuff on there.

I don't use Twitter. No real reason to, at this point.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Facebook, I just "discovered" a few weeks ago. I held out for a long time. But it is a great way to catch up with old friends you haven't seen in years. I also like the ability to PM things you don't want the world at large to see.

I'm on Twitter, but I just don't quite grab the appeal of it.

And YouTube ... there are times when I can spend an hour chasing down old music video stuff. Love it for that.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You rang?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Doesn't that describe most YouTube stars?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's a sticking point with FB I haven't yet figured out how to handle. When you have a friend who's piling up loads of useless messages, how do you unfriend them without pissing them off?

EDIT: And as I posted this, I see this ad right below my message:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can hide them from your newsfeed. Roll your mouse over one of their messages, click the drop-down menu and you'll get the option. I have done this to all but maybe 10-20 friends.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Twitter for work. I see the appeals of Facebook, as already mentioned, but haven't taken it up yet. You Tube, rarely.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a personal Fb account that I use rarely to communicate with some people.
    I have a LinkedIn profile that I try to keep up to date.

I have Fb, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest channels that I maintain for work.
    some better than others.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have a personal Facebook account I check quite often.
    I have a professional/personal Twitter account I also use a lot.
    I have a Linked In account I've largely ignored.
    I have a Google+ account I haven't looked at since I created it at least a year ago.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I use Facebook every single day, mostly to post articles I enjoyed reading.
    I use Twitter every day, multiple times a day, but mostly to see what is being said about the day's events. When there is a major event - NFL playoffs, the Te'o story, any Indiana Hoosier game - I Tweet way too much and retweet way too much.
    I established a Google-Plus page when it first came out (summer 2011). Think I've checked it a total of 10 times in the past year.
    No Instagram (no SmartPhone).
    Do have LinkedIn, and I like it for what it is.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Have a FB account but it's mostly to see what friends and family are up to. Both HC & I regularly post pics from our road trips so that's fun.

Am a Twitter freak. I don't just like it for following people and events but the retweets help me find some fabulous stuff I wouldn't have normally been able to find.

My fav site that I found because of a retweet is this: http://www.brainpickings.org/

12. joe

joe Active Member

None of the above. I have a facespace page that I check maybe once every two weeks. I signed up for twitter, but I can't remember my user name and login, so I never bother with it.

I'd rather sleep.

Draft saved Draft deleted