1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook, MySpace et al (aka the 'Geez I'm just old' thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 1, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Understandable, but in the technology age we're in it makes sense. I'm not condoning it, but what can you do?

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Thing is, I get by just fine without all this (what I see as) useless technology.

I network the old fashioned way: Phone, at events, through exchanging business cards, etc.
    I don't own a cell phone.
    I don't own an iPod.
    I don't own (never have owned) any video game system.

Now, I do have my resume online, two e-mail accounts and Limwire, which my fiancee uses WAY more than I do. But that's about all I have/use.

I'm with Jackson Beauregard; I just don't know why my personal life, photos, likes dislikes etc. needs to be online for anyone in the world to see.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you don't want everyone else to see it, you can make it private for a select few.

It's not that difficult.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The one thing I really liked about it was the ability to share recent photos of me and what I was doing with a large group of people at once.
    Like when I first moved to Texas I was able to take photos of the town I moved to, the area, the lack of mountains, trees and water and let my family and friends see them without having to send out giant e-mails or prints.
    Then again I deleted my myspace account because I realized I was already talking to all the friends I cared to talk to on the phone.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Useless for you, maybe. Doesn't mean it has no use.

Or that those who choose to utilize that technology are "weird," as has been stated on this thread (let alone "teens, dirty old men and attention whores. ::))

Just seems that those who judge others who are on those sites have a ton of misconceptions about what it is, and what regular, everyday people can use it for.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's really quite simple. If you don't like it or agree with it don't use it. If you want to use it use it. End of argument. Yes?

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It doesn't hurt to go outside and make some friends.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I signed up for facebook only to look at the pages of some of the athletes at the school I cover. Pointless, I suppose, since I don't have an e-mail address within the school's network, so I can't look at them anyway.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most people with myspace/facebook accounts do go outside and make friends. It's just another way of making friends, and frankly, way better than sitting in a bar getting hit on by drunken fools after work.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

*belch*

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Which teams? Girls' volleyball? Boys' swimming?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think you're giving us drunken fools a bad rap.
    Some of us are nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted