1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook IPO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 1, 2012.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think it's safe to say Facebook has already peaked. I'm sure those within the company have the numbers to back up my theory, which is why they're going public now. I'd be surprised if in five years Facebook is even close to what it is now. For one, the Timeline idea is absolutely dreadful.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Facebook has approximately 901 million active monthly users each user made Facebook about $4.34 in ad revenue last year. If you don't want to be part of the company that's involved with that - I'd like to see a better reason than "timeline is dreadful."

I wish I was able to buy this stock. I'm sure I won't be able to. Thankfully, one of my mutual funds will have Facebook stock in it as of May 18. I had to purchase that more than a year ago though.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. People bought into the secondary market at a set price, right? Say, $30. If it goes to $90 or $100, those people are pocketing tens of thousands -- or hundreds of thousands -- of dollars in one day.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You forget that LinkedIn is trading above $110 per share right now. Nearly triple the IPO. And what do they have? A shitty interface where the messages are always down? They have nowhere near the revenue stream as Facebook.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Heard on the radio that Zuckerberg was doing the IPO road shows in a hoodie. Hopefully George Zimmerman won't think he's a thug and shoot him.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I didn't say it was worthless, or even a bad investment. I'm just speculating that it's best days are behind it and I'm not sure the value will be much higher than it is right now. I know it can't be a good thing that they keep alienating users by making changes that most don't want.

What they do have going for them is the jumpstart on any potential competition, as there is no other social media that's even close when it comes to contacting people from your past or sharing info with family and friends, etc.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What was Google's IPO at?

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So is anyone planning to take the plunge with the Facebook IPO at 11 a.m. eastern?

It's going to start at $38 per share. I had read previously that it would be all but impossible for regular folks to buy in at the initial offering, but now I'm reading that you can buy on TD Ameritrade and I've seen a few Facebook updates from friends who have submitted orders to purchase some shares, and these aren't Wall Street mavens.

I'm starting to wish I had considered it more and did some research into the value, or lack thereof, of purchasing some shares.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I know squat about IPOs, but isn't it the case that you can't just flip shares bought today? I mean, don't you have to hold them for some (relatively) substantial period of time?

10. bigpern23

WSportsJournalists.com -- not to be confused with SportsJournalists.com -- says it expects there to be a lot of flipping during the first 30-60 minutes, so I guess there's no restriction.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

More evidence that I know squat about IPOs ... :)

12. bigpern23

Haha. :)

Trading delayed because of problems with NASDAQ's queue.

Draft saved Draft deleted