1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook IPO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 1, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Simple answer is not to have a Facebook account.

3. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

As a former sports reporter now turned tech journalist, this is not exactly the discussion thread I was expecting to see on SportsJournalists.com.

4. bigpern23

Believe it or not, many of us sports writers like to talk about subjects other than sports once in a while.

Also contrary to popular belief, carpenters don't often spend their downtime remodeling their homes. :D

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Haven't we always done that? People by newspaper ads because of what they know about the consumers who buy the newspaper. This is just more granular.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Buy some ads and we'll show them to a bunch of people who are from this area, are affluent enough to by newspapers, and are interested in news."

"Buy this ad and we'll show them to a bunch of people who are have XXX interest according to their self-submitted information."

Same thing, different degree.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is it true that the stock will go off at $100 a share?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

An acquaintance of mine thinks he'll make a ton off of the Facebook IPO. Too bad his $2,000 won't get him anywhere near the IPO price.

9. bigpern23

From what I've read, average investors have no shot at purchasing Facebook stock.

10. JackReacher

Yeah. Regular donks can't buy in. At least not yet. Only a select group.

11. bigpern23

Gotta let the rich get richer first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

I wouldn't count on them getting rich. I've read multiple financial stories where "experts" are saying they wouldn't touch Facebook stock. Groupon opened with a lot of hype, had a good first day and leveled out. Same with LinkedIn, I believe, although when LinkedIn mellowed out, it was still at a substantial gain.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted