1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook diplomacy: Judiciously keeping your mouth shut

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems like the most effective way to post about politics is to jump into an ongoing thread rather than starting one there. I find that it can be pretty effective to post a, "But have you thought about it this way?" post, typically after someone posts something earnest but lacking in nuance merely because they haven't been exposed to some mitigating facts.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You actually believe you have changed the world for the better with your intellect, don't you?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Also, YankeeFan, those desserts look like sushi.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Post another one here.

I love ANY dog pics, am neutral on the food pics, and hate the political discussions. I just don't care what you think about Trayvon, or what congress is doing today.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lol

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Obviously.

They're from the Dining Room at Kendal College, a local culinary school. Beverly Kim, who was a Top Chef contestant -- she was always being made to cry by the other female chef from Chicago -- was the guest instructor this past semester, so there's certainly an Asian influence and style.

The green thing is an asparagus cake, if I recall.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm no intellectual.

But I follow current events, like most here, pretty religiously. So, in a medium like Facebook, I might help someone better understand, say, the Apple antitrust suit. Not because I have a superior intellect. But because I've followed it. And that same person might help me understand, say, how to bake my own pizza. Or change my oil. Or some news story that they have insight into that I don't. A Red Sox fan might explain the Jake Peavy deal from that team's perspective. A native Mexican might be following the immigration reform debate accessing sources and voices that I'm completely unaware of.

8. YankeeFan

I don't post a ton on Facebook anyway.

I think if I started getting into politics, it would overwhelm the page, and Johnny-one-notes, regardless of the subject, are the worst.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

On purely taste, did they even compare to the doughnuts?

10. YankeeFan

You'll have to friend request me.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is such bullshit. We both know there are actual experts whom you are not friends with on facebook who have websites that would be both more convenient and better explained to cover any of those topics.

12. YankeeFan

I have a major sweet tooth, so the donuts were pure indulgence.

The Kendall deserts were good, not as sweet, and interesting enough to order at least once.

I can't remember what the second one was though, even looking at the menu:

Meyer Lemon and Spruce
    Meyer lemon‍ souffle, spruce pine honey ice cream, white chocolate yuzu sauce, blueberry preserve
    $6.00

Rhubarb and Sweetwoodruff
    Rhubarb cherry pie, sweet woodruff yoghurt parfait, rhubarb cherry sorbet, rhubarb confit, maywine gelee
    $6.00

Black Sesame and Sugar Snap Pea
    Homemade mascarpone panna cotta, fried black sesame Mochi, sugar pea cream, sesame rice cracker, tea smoked mango
    $6.00

Strawberry and Goat Cheese
    Slow roasted strawberry, farm goat cheese ice cream, asparagus sponge cake, strawberry preserve, spring green emulsion
    $6.00

Chocolate and Halvah
    Chocolate and‍ tahini nougat, sesame chocolate financier, chocolate sherbet, orange chutney
    $6.00

http://m.opentable.com/restaurants/kendall-college-dining-room/menu/4028

Draft saved Draft deleted